In the 1st line of the first stanza, Byron starts off his poem by repeating his title and then uses figurative language (simile) and says “like the night”.  He writes, “She walks in beauty, like the night”.  I said, the speaker uses night instead of day in order to emphasize that their beauty is beyond what the light sees. So I started to wonder how can one describe someone as things that are the complete opposites. Throughout the poem, Byron subtly writes in things that mean light and things that mean dark for example, dark/bright (line 3), shade/ray (line7) raves tress/lightens (lines 9 & 10) and so on.
 I believe the poem answers this question I have by overall just giving the message that the author/speaker is infatuated with this woman to the point that anything makes her look very angelic. That comparing this lady to two opposite things just means that there’s beauty in everything and that he thinks that in the same way, there’s beauty in everything about her.
My other comments are similar questions as to why he uses light and dark to talk about this lady but it does raise another question. How is one able to write about love? I believe it would be hard to be able to properly express his feelings but the tone of the poem makes me think that perhaps the words just came to him and he wrote them down.  Well I believe the strategy the author uses is that he just has to compare her beauty to something so he can get his message across.Which is why there’s so many mentions of light and dark things in the poem.

Karla
May 30, 2019 2:11 pm

Dear Anaee,
I am Surprised about,on the way you described the poem “She Walks in Beauty,” because to start off for a male to write about women it’s always more of a love affection,not trying to compare their emotions,that no matter that the beauty is inside and out One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “why he uses light and dark to talk about this lady but it does raise another question. How is one able to write about love? ” I think this is a mysterious question because to describe the love he gots its hard to do Another sentence that I got me thinking was: “That comparing this lady to two opposite things just means that there’s beauty in everything and that he thinks that in the same way, there’s beauty in everything about her. This stood out to me because the way that this men not only did he describes the good parts about this lady but also the bad parts that has beauty has this lady is the inside could be beautiful too.Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next because i got see the your analysing goes deep into the poem like to background information has well.

1
0
()