In the first line of the first stanza, Ackerman talks about the sun and the sun setting. She writes, “In the name of the daybreak”. The “day breaker” must represent the sun as the sun gives us our daylight. This is important to see as her whole poem mostly talks about nature, also this line sounds like something from a pledge. This is important because this is the first line of the poem and this is what starts off the thoughts in the reader’s head.

In the fifth line of the middle stanza, Ackerman she talks about the honoring of something. She writes, “I swear I will not dishonor”. This is like an oath or pledge. This line reminds of a pledge like in a bible or like the Pledge of Allegiance. I wonder why the author chose to write this poem in sort of a Pledge form

The big question that this poem brings up for me is, Why are humans destroying nature instead of honoring it?  The author answers this question with her pledge to honor it. I know this, as in every stanza she is talking about honoring life and nature itself. This confirms my own belief that the human race is destroying nature around us because we are self-centered and only caring about ourselves.

0
()