As you may know, segregation has been around for many years. Segregation played a significant role in the history of the United States. It took two main forms de jure segregation, which was enforced by law, and de facto segregation, which occurred without explicit legal mandates. De jure segregation was mandated by slave codes before the Civil War, and later by Black Codes and Jim Crow laws after the war. To understand the impact of segregation on present-day inequalities, it is important to explore the continuing unfair treatment in society. It´s important to study segregation and its impact on present-day inequalities to understand the ongoing social problems that still exist today. When researching and exploring present equality it highlighted the fact the separation of different races in schools and neighborhoods is not only because people choose to live that way or because of unfair treatment. Instead, it claims that government policies in the past and present have intentionally caused and continued segregation. These situations are going on all over the city. According to an analysis of residential segregation. More than 80% of large metropolitan areas in the United States were more segregated in 2019 than they were in 1990. The U.S. has become more diverse over time. And the city that is the most segregated is Detroit according to the report followed by Hialeah, Fla., in Miami-Dade County, and then Newark, Chicago, Milwaukee, and Cleveland. The COVID-19 pandemic showed that Black Americans living in segregated cities like Detroit and Chicago had a higher death rate compared to people of other races in those cities. However, as more Americans gained the freedom to work from anywhere and choose their place of residence following the pandemic, it raises concerns about the potential for increased segregation as people move from cities to suburbs. In conclusion, segregation in the United States has had a lasting impact on current inequalities. It has affected our schools, neighborhoods, and cities, whether through laws or without any specific rules. To fully understand the ongoing social issues we face today, it is important to study and comprehend the effects of segregation.

Keity
April 5, 2024 12:03 am

I think you did a great job highlighting important parts of segregation and how it affects certain areas in this case  Miami-Dade County, and then Newark, Chicago, Milwaukee, and Cleveland are some that were mentioned. I appreciate your introduction to the background information of past segregation laws such as Black Codes and Jim Crow laws. On top of that, you provided factual information and statistics that state “More than 80% of large metropolitan areas in the United States were more segregated in 2019 than they were in 1990. ” This fact is important to reflect upon because sometimes we “turn a blind eye” to what is going on in society because some people believe that “at least it was better than half a century ago ” by then we see a statistic like that and see that wasn’t the case. This post highlights some key facts when arguing about how segregation and urban planning go hand in hand.

Morgan
April 4, 2024 10:19 pm

This is the first analysis that delved into the topic of segregation around the US and not just in Atlanta. I appreciate the research you put into this well written analysis. I never thought about how quarantine and the pandemic also has an effect on the diversity of urban communities. Do you believe that things will be able to transition back to they were pre-pandemic? Your cover image perfectly aligns with the topic of your analysis. Amazing job on your analysis, it was a pleasure to read.

Noah
April 3, 2024 3:20 pm

Even with your essay being short, it is still very detailed. Honestly This is one of the best ones I have read so far. This is also the first one that I’ve read that mentioned Covid-19 and how that affected things of this segregation nature. Great work Suehayla ! 🙂

3
0
()