When I think about the most important American values I think of freedom, equality, and individualism. These are some of the best values in America because they are shown and represented throughout the United States. Freedom is being able to respond to a problem or help someone, equality is to be treated the same by everyone, and individuality is represented by being our own person. 

Freedom is important in America because most people have it, but it is not what people think it is. According to Jeremy Engle, “people believe freedom as the right to keep your options open,” but, it is truly the people who seek responsibility that have the true meaning of freedom. I believe this statement to be true because they had the freedom to accomplish all of their achievements and earned freedom to do whatever they wanted by accomplishing goals

The next best American value is the idea of equality. University of Portland, “Americans have a deep faith that in some fundamental way all people (at least all US American people) are of equal value, that no one is born superior to anyone else.” Even though the idea of equality is skewed it is still a major belief in the United States. People have tried to achieve equality throughout history and are still trying to achieve the idea of equality, meaning that it is a big part of people’s lives. 

Lastly there is Individuality where, “People are seen as separate individuals (not group members) with individual needs,” adapted from L. Robert Kohls. This means that citizens of America have their own lives and their actions and thoughts are not controlled by someone else. People view this as an important value because they do not have to let someone else control them, and they can make their own decisions. 

These are three of the biggest values in America, while there are other values that are important, these three values seem to affect people more. The three values include freedom where you are able to respond to a problem or help someone, equality is to be treated the same by everyone, and individuality is represented by being our own person. 

Works Cited:

Engle, Jeremy. “What Do You Think Are the Beliefs and Values That Define American Culture?” The New York Times, The New York Times, 24 Apr. 2019, www.nytimes.com/2019/04/24/learning/what-do-you-think-are-the-beliefs-and-values-that-define-american-culture.html. 

Kohls, L. Robert. Values in American Culture

“American Values and Assumptions.” American Values and Assumptions | University of Portland, www.up.edu/iss/advising-services/american-values.html. 

1. Griffin 4 weeks ago

Dear Tanish,
    This was a really nice piece of writing, and I really liked the overall tone. I also particularly liked it when you used the quote on freedom and I agree with it. There was a nice flow throughout and it was structured nicely. You also had a very clear claim making it simple to tell your stance.

2. Derek 4 weeks ago

I like the quote from L. Robert Khols, “People are seen as separate individuals (not group members) with individual needs.” I like this quote because it can be applied to now where the action of one police officer is applied to all officers. People believe that all cops are racist now and are attempting to even kill officers that haven’t done anything wrong except for apparently choose to be a cop. We need to hold people accountable for their own actions, not the actions of people like them. I could be completely wrong and I’d like to know if you agree or disagree.

3. James 4 weeks ago

Hello Tanish,
    I find your argument very entertaining and I learned a lot about your perspective on American creeds. I like how you acknowledge the struggle for equality in America is a reminder of how equality is a major American value. I like how you brought up how we have the opportunity to be who please and to be unique here in America. I like the structure of the essay as the introduction gives us a background on claims you plan to back up with in your body paragraph and how you restated the claims in the closing.

4. Carter 4 weeks ago

Pretty well-rounded piece. I liked the quote you included from one of your sources, stating, “people believe freedom as the right to keep your options open,” The quote paints a picture of individual freedom and choice making.