ARTIST STATEMENT

Sharai Ward

The objects in my shadow box represent me and my family. Most of my shadow box is filled with pictures of me and my siblings when we were younger. Most of the pictures are baby pictures and they show my assigned identity. My baby pictures shows how my mom dressed me and how she did my hair when I was. There are also newer pictures, the newer pictures show my chosen identity on how I choose to dress and wear my hair and the different types of shoes and accessories I’m interested in. The other objects shows family, I have a brown bear with gift’s surrounding it representing the death of my grandmother’s mother dying. She died on Christmas Eve, the day after her birthday. I also have a blue cross with an Angel standing by it to represent her death that was put next to her ashes by my grandmother.

I put red, yellow, and green beads in my box to represent my race. My family is African American and Cuban. My grandmother on my mother’s side of the family really takes our African culture seriously. Every February we would wear African Attire on Sunday’s when we go to church. I only do it when I want to but I don’t do it any more. My great grandmother’s grandfather is from Africa and he moved to Arkansas in his thirties. When my great grandmother was born she moved to Oakland. My mom’s father was Cuban. Because of my grandfather being Cuban I am both Cuban and African American and that’s why I chose to use the beads in my shadow box.

Destiny
February 5, 2018 10:32 pm

Dear sharai,

Thank you for sharing your work. My name is Destiny and i am a student at Fremont High School. Something i likes about your shadow box was all the pictures, it just makes me happy because all the pictures in your shadow box haves something to do with family and if not that it has a fun and friendly vibe to it. Something i have a question about is what made you wanna fill your shadow box up with pictures of your family. Please feel free to comment on my work in the future. The address of my student blog is destinyafhs2021.
Thank you, Destiny abdullah

Mailau
February 5, 2018 9:31 pm

Dear sharai,

Thank you for sharing your work. My name is Mailau and I am a student at Fremont High School.
Something I liked about your work was how you have a lot of pictures.
Something I have a question about is did you like getting dressed up. Please feel free to comment on my work in the future. The address of my student blog is mailaupfhs2021.
Thank You! Mailau Penitani

Miguel
February 2, 2018 5:19 pm

Dear sharai, Thank you for sharing your work. My name is Miguel and i am a student at Fremont High School something I liked about your work was all the detail you had on your shadowbox and the stories behind it. Something I have a question about is how did you feel about this assignment? Please feel free to comment on my work in the future. The address to my student blog is Miguelvfhs2021. Thank you, Miguel Vasquez

4
0
()