Impulse buying, binge watching, unemployment, and millions of deaths. The feelings of instability and insecurity plague the lives of many people all around the world. We all know about the infamous COVID-19 pandemic but do we truly understand it’s effects? Many people eagerly watch the news about the possible new symptoms or vaccines or things to cure the more physical ailments. But did we ever stop to realize what it is doing to people mentally? Throughout the pandemic, the COVID-19 health crisis has led to a spike in the number of mental health cases causing social isolation, unhealthy behaviors, and anger issues. 

“The public health response to COVID-19 should include clear, up-to-date information about infection rates and distancing measures, as well as information on education, self-care, family support, and collaboration across industries” (psychiatryadvsior.com). This quote helps show how not only does your physical health matter but so does your mental health. This article shows how to continue to remain active and stay positive because it helps clear up the uneasiness that goes along with the pandemic.

For me personally, the non-profit organization that I am an ambassador for uses their social media as a way to introduce new health workouts, smoothies, and foods in order to put forth the effort to keep everyone busy why we are still in the pandemic. Furthermore, the article also states possible ways to keep therapy and other types of resources open to people who need it. The article states, “Healthcare systems should thereby anticipate an increase in “unmet mental health needs” among vulnerable groups and prepare for them. Telemedicine is one way to fill the gaps in care during the COVID-19 pandemic” (psychiatricadvisor.org). This shows possible ways to continue to keep platforms up for people who are in desperate need during this pandemic. 

Overall, physical health is important and helps us live our day to day lives but we have to keep an idea on mental health as well because many people are affected by it everyday. Even if you can’t see your neighbors or friends, a simple text or call would make their day. “What mental health needs is more sunlight, more candor, more unashamed conversation” (goodtherapy.org). 

Works Cited: 

Johnson, Heather R. “Position Paper: The Impact of COVID-19 on Mental Health.” Psychiatry Advisor, 15 Jan. 2021, www.psychiatryadvisor.com/home/topics/general-psychiatry/position-paper-the-impact-of-covid-19-on-mental-health/.

“GoodTherapy.” Stop Stigma: 12 Inspiring Quotes About Mental Health – GoodTherapy.org Therapy Blog, www.goodtherapy.org/blog/stop-stigma-12-inspiring-quotes-about-mental-health-0512187/amp/.

1. tomholms 4 days ago

Overall, physical health is important and helps us live our day to day lives but we have to keep an idea on mental health as well because many people are affected by it everyday. Even if you can’t see your neighbors or friends, a simple text or call would make their day. https://place-4-papers.com/problem-solution-essay-writing-service/

2. Olivia 2 weeks ago

Maddie! I like how in depth you went about the actions of people who are suffering. I also found it interesting how you looked into how COVID has affected the mental state of some people. This is a very important topic, especially with the pandemic still surging around the world. It is important to spread information. I would suggest maybe sticking to just one main point. I noticed that you bounced around a lot from mental health, to COVID, and then to physical fitness. Other than that, your discussion was great, thanks for sharing!