My shadow box represents the dominant and counter-narrative of my identities as a Latina woman from Oakland.

I decided to make the outside of my box represent dominant and counter-narratives of my identity. I added pictures of former President Donald Trump, because of the racist/sexist thing has said. His words have affected my family and have influenced the opinions of his supporters. I also added pictures of typically “girly” things, like makeup or flowers. The dominant narrative about my women is that they’re supposed to be feminine and proper.

I decided to make the inside of my box my chosen identities and counter-narratives. I added pictures of the Mexican and American flags because I’m proud of my Mexican heritage and it’s a big part of my identity. I added an isle and a painting to symbolize the artistic things I do. I added pictures of me and my brothers because I’m so close with them.

February 10, 2022 8:34 pm

Dear Jazmine,

I am amazed by your post, “More than makeup and flowers,” because you explain how you don’t have to be the person people see you as. I like how you include how much of a hassle it can be to sticking to the “feminine” look when being a woman as well as backing it up with the fact that we don’t need to live to that standard.
One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “The dominant narrative about my women is that they’re supposed to be feminine and proper.” I think this is important because it’s a standard on how people believe women are supposed to live to which is unnecessary, but I like how you explain how women are more than just makeup and flowers.

Thank you for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because based off this post it seems as though you have a lot more to say.

-Sophia Garcia

Last edited 3 months ago by Sophia
February 10, 2022 4:21 pm

Dear Jazmine,

I am fascinated by your post, ” More than makeup and flowers” because I like how you utilize a shadow box to demonstrate you’re several identities. I enjoyed how you tell your audience that you’re prideful of being a Latina woman.

One sentence you wrote that stands out to me is, “I decided to make the inside of my box my chosen identities and counter-narratives”. I feel like what you did was very original because on the outside of the box you should what people see and on the outside, you show what is on the inside, something that people don’t know about you.

Thanks for your writing! I look forward to seeing what you write next because I really like how you approach this box with deep meaning.

Valarie

January 29, 2022 2:37 am

Dear Jazmine,

I am touched by your post, “More than makeup and flowers,” because you tell us how you re proud to be a Latina women. I like how you explain how your box helps you express who you are. It also helps us see what your identity is more like.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is:”His words have affected my family and have influenced the opinions of his supporters.” This stood out to me because Trumps words have caused many negative impacts on many peoples lives. Also with many people supporting him it has affected many people.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because it would like to hear about your opinions. I would also like to know more about your identity and how you express who you are.

Lesly

January 19, 2022 2:39 am

Dear Jazmin,

I am interested in your post because you mention the idealization of Latin Women. Most of us, especially women, are set to high standards on always having to be feminine. Even though our culture tells us differently it’s important to have that as a part of our identity in order to connect with ourselves.

I like how you want to show people that you are proud of who you are, especially since you as a Hispanic woman have different experiences than others. This inspires me to also show my roots proudly and wear my culture on my sleeve as a good representation instead of looking up towards America’s white standards.

Thank you for writing about how being yourself could boost your confidence. I look forward to seeing more of it !

January 19, 2022 12:42 am

Dear Jasmine,

I like your post, “More than makeup and flowers” It explains well enough how you are proud to be a Latina. I like how you explain you love being part of a Mexican family. Your box represents everything you said about your life, thoughts, and opinion. 

One sentence that you wrote that stands out to me is: “I decided to make the outside of my box represent dominant and counter natives of my identity. I think many people should also express who they are and why.

Thanks for your writing. It is really fun to learn things about other people and what they think about your culture. Keep being you!

Saray

January 11, 2022 8:43 pm

Good evening Jazmine,

I am touched by your post, “More than makeup and flowers” because you really put an emphasis on being more than what you’re introduced as. I adore how you take pride in who you are and where you come from. Never let the opinions of others try to convince you otherwise.

One sentence that stands out to me is, “I decided to make the inside of my box my chosen identities and counter-narratives”. It is creative how you had the idea to make your outside your perceived version as it is what people take first impressions from. Showing that what is on the outside doesn’t define what is carried inside.

Thank you for writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next because your confidence and pride really shine through.

Ashley

Ana
Ana
December 16, 2021 5:06 am

Dear Jazmine:

I am stunned by your post, “More than makeup and flowers” because I love the way you illustrated your personality into a shadow box. I love how everything you put in it has a very significant meaning to you.

One sentence you wrote that stands out to me is: ” I also added pictures of typically “girly” things, like makeup or flowers. The dominant narrative about my women is that they’re supposed to be feminine and proper”. I agree with you that women are perceived in a certain way and when they’re not this way (feminine) they’re viewed as “improper” or “masculine”.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next because I like the way you express yourself. I would like for you to keep on telling us more about your personality.

Ana

December 13, 2021 4:51 pm

Good morning, Jazmine

Thank you for introducing yourself to us. I liked the way you presented yourself and the content. Through your post, we got to know your family, culture, and the views you support for the community. I hope you will present us with such an excellent post again.

Sarah Zhang

8
0
()