In the article, “Should the U.S. Admit More Refugees?” (Upfront) I learned that in 2019, 30,000 refugees were admitted to the United States. The Trump administration wanted to cut that number to 18,000. People argued that refugees benefit America because they pay taxes, take on vacant jobs, join the military, open a small businesses, and many of them also become citizens. Others argued that refugees affect those Americans that struggle financially because they compete for the same job positions as they do. Over the last 10 years, the United States has spent about $125 billion on refugee resettlement. People argued that the money would be better spent in the refugees’ home region.

I think that bringing in more refugees can be both good and bad. Refugees come here in hopes of a better life. They pay taxes and work just as hard as any other American in any job field. As for spending the money in their home regions, I don’t think it’s a good idea because they are fleeing their country because it is no longer safe for any other valid reason. They wouldn’t be leaving their home countries if all they needed was money from other countries.

Do you think that the US should admit more refugees?

0
()