red and white UNKs restaurant

April:
I remember the realization that I might not be seeing my friends for a while.
I remember Tuesday and Wednesday blending together.
I remember having no motivation to do school work.
I remember staying in my bed.
I remember things seeming to get worse in the world around me.
I remember no good news.
I remember going outside once a week.
I remember 7 pm when everyone would clang pots and pans outside the window.
I remember ghostly streets.
I remember all the Soho shops being closed.
I remember empty shelves at Morton Williams.
I remember the longing for things I didn’t appreciate before. 

May:
I remember not feeling April shift to May.
I remember getting used to it.
I remember my feet hanging out the window in the sun.
I remember completely not caring about school.
I remember getting happier.
I remember seeing Haylah for the first time in almost 2 months.
I remember a shift that day.
I remember taking the 6 train and only 2 people being on it.
I remember spring.
I remember going to fire island and it seemed like we had the whole palace to yourself.
I remember masks starting to get uncomfortable because of the heat. 

June:
I remember the longing for summer break.
I remember seeing more friends after 3 and half months.
I remember the realization that this is gonna be the new normal for a while.
I remember not being fazed by it. 
I remember my love for music growing.
I don’t even remember doing school.
I remember not being stressed about certain things.
I remember the protests.
I remember the chants and signs.
I remember the anger and sadness.
I remember being scared of my own government.
I remember the hat store across the street’s glass window being broken down when I was looking out my window.
I remember not knowing what to make of it.
I remember the PBS every night.
I remember hating people in power even if I didn’t know them.
I remember wondering if things will get better.
I remember still being happy though. 

1. Amra 4 days ago

Dear Sara,
    I am hurt by reading this poem because when Quarantine Started I was hurt, depressed and upset because there were curfews and life wasn’t normal. everybody locked up. Your line, “I remember completely not caring about school” is puzzling. When schools started online I was distracted ,and I did not have any motivation because I was used to getting up and actually going to school, not getting up, getting myself ready and grabbing my macbook . Another line that stands out to me is, “I remember the anger and sadness”. It reminds me of the Violence and yelling for justice, and the protests about George Floyd. In addition to what happened in the capital house people breaking in and breaking things – it’s unbelievable. It reminds me of the news photographs of guns with helmets, FBI ,posters of Trump. Thanks for your poem. I look forward to seeing what you make next.

2. Nicolle 5 days ago

Dear Sara, I really enjoyed seeing you Point of view of the first months of quarantine it just goes to show the different ways people interpreted/ took in with this pandemic. The line where you start to say this is the new normal I can relate to it because never in a million years if you were to ask me let’s say four years ago I would have never thought this would happen. I really enjoyed your poem and I can relate to our feelings to an extent.

3. Cynthia 2 weeks ago

Dear Sara,
    I enjoyed and related to things you mentioned remembering about the start of quarantine. staying in bed and not really paying attention to school. I finished my junior year doing packages of work that had to be done every week. I also remembered waiting for summer but after I remembered why I never looked forward to summer despite the months we get off I can’t stand the heat. it’s really interesting seeing someone else’s perspective of quarantine.
    – Cynthia

4. Heather 3 weeks ago

Thank you so much for sharing. It is nice to get to read others’ views.

5. Antonio 3 weeks ago

Hello Sara, I appraise your post because it really reflect my time during the worldwide pandemic and other things that were happening. Many have felt the misery more during this time. I remember so much that has happened. But everything will soon return to normal, somewhat. Stay safe and please wear the mask.

6. Selena 4 weeks ago

Hi Sara, I like your post because it is a reflection of today. It has been months since Covid-19 has been around and it seemed to interrupt and destroy people’s lives. Around the world, many families have lost love ones, people losing jobs, no money to pay bills, etc. I can agree with a lot of your “I remember….” It seemed to be a long time ago when we had the freedom of going out or having the energy to do something. But now it is completely the opposite. Everything will get back to normal, just have to give it some time but stay safe and remember to wear your mask to stop the spread of Covid-19.