In the article “Raising Their Voices: Sports stars are speaking out about their mental health. Will their advocacy help younger athletes?” I learned that athletes are now speaking up about their mental health. Athletes have recently opened up about their mental struggles and the stresses of competing and living in front of the cameras. People assume that they are strong in every way because they are athletes. But they are human too and they have feelings and emotions. Most of them are under so much pressure and they are stressed out.

I think what is happening is very important to acknowledge. Mental health is very important. It is hard to express your feelings if people believe that athletes are not supposed to show signs of anything that would impact their physical or mental health, because we expect them to perform with such great strength and skill. The good thing is that athletes are increasingly speaking up.

What do you think? Should athletes keep speaking up?

May 2, 2022 4:38 pm

Dear Lesly:

I am impressed by your post, “Mental Health of Athletes,” because it contains many good information about the things that we don’t really see in athletes. There might be times were mostly everyone assumes that all athletes are okay and that they don’t really struggle.

One sentence that stood out for me is: “But they are human too and they have feelings and emotions.” I think this is important because everyone has feelings but there are some people who don’t really show them.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because I like how you were able to understand these type of problems. It is important for those athletes to keep expressing their feelings in order for them to get more help.

Adrian Garcia

1
0
()