I am from xboxes, Axe shampoo, and black fans that stand on the floor.
I am from the parks, playing video games in rooms for hours inside and water parks on hot days.
I am from a neighborhood by the George Washington Bridge, cars speeding fast by me and the bodega on the corner that makes pastelitos.
I am from beefy curry, flames from the gas stove, and sounds of the washing machine.
From Mirta, Mario and Sandra.
I am from the sports people, the good smelling people and the hard workers. 
from prestar atención, Marito sale a limpiar tu cuarto (Mario, go and clean up your room).
I’m from candles with angels on them and a wooden crucifix above the door.
I’m from the Heights with family from the DR.
from a sister who thinks she saw God when she was sick.
Around the house, the old box of Nintendo games I “don’t play with anymore and my parents old wedding album.
I am from those moments.

September 30, 2021 2:29 pm

Hey Mario,

I think how we live from so far away from each other and the similarities that we have in our childhood. It is cool to see someone else life from another place. You get to know a little about the culture that they have in their lives. I hope you are doing well, your writing was entertaining and easy to read.
Andre

August 25, 2021 6:31 pm

Hello Mario,

I am kind of surprised by your poem and by how much we have in common even through all this distance. I thought your poem was really well written and even though we are almost across the world from one another, I see my own upbringing in yours. Something that stood out to me was that I could almost picture the crucifixes and hear the “presta más atención” especially during church.

Thank you for writing this! It’s nice seeing people like me around the world painting our culture and experience through word. I look forward to seeing what you write next!

Guadalupe V

Aniya
July 13, 2021 9:10 pm

Dear Mario,
I really enjoyed reading your poem. Not only was it personal, but it was a piece that I could relate to because I am very familiar with Heights and the details that you included. I also enjoyed learning more about you and really liked when you said, “I’m from the Heights with family from the DR. From a sister who thinks she saw God when she was sick”. This poem spoke to your cultural identity, but also to what makes you you. I look forward to reading more from you!

Jennifer
July 13, 2021 9:03 pm

I love Where I’m From poems and this is a great one! I liked how you used Spanish in the poem. I wonder if it was necessary to translate the Spanish and how it might change the effect if you were to just leave it and let the reader figure out how to navigate that experience. I could really see and feel the moments you were describing.

4
0
()