It is no question that we are living in a strange and difficult time right now. For the past 3 months, our whole lives have been put on pause, and the whole world has seemed to shut down. For many of us seniors, we will not get to experience the things that we have worked hard for four years to reach. Graduation, senior farewell, senior trips, and many other things. For the class of 2020, senior year will come to a quiet close. No special parties, no huge events or big hurrah, just a simple ending with a very little closure. It can be easy for us to get discouraged because of this. Many people are feeling rather down about the whole situation, and I mean, I can’t blame you. This is hard… very hard. That said I think we have to options going forward into summer, we can focus on what we can’t have, or we can make the most of what we do have.

Obviously this is going to be very hard, and there will definitely be days where all we can do is think of all the things that we are missing out on. That said, as long as we can try to put ourselves in a mindset in which we focus on what we still have, we will have better days. This is how I have been able to get through the situation thus far, and it has been working very well. I have acknowledged the things I have lost, but it doing so recognized that I have a ton more time to work on new skills. I have spent this time to learn a bunch of new things. And given the fact that we are living in 2020, we have access to a plethora of online years to help teach us. I currently am learning to build a computer, teaching myself new flips, and I am beginning to get better at juggling sticks. Sure, most of these skills are completely pointless in the grand scheme of things, but I have been able to learn plenty of fun new things to keep me occupied during the quarantine. Because of this I have been unable to even spend the time necessary to sit around and feel bad about the things I am missing out on.

And so I encourage everyone, try to focus on the things you still have. Use the extra time you have been given to learn something that you have always wanted to learn, but just hadn’t had the time. It could be anything: drawing, juggling, writing, a new yo yo trick, the possibilities are endless. Taking advantage of the things we have, such as time to learn, time to spend with family, and access to so many online resources will not fix the issue or cure the world from the pandemic, but it just might make this whole experience a little bit easier.

Ava
Ava
September 11, 2020 3:15 pm

Dear Alexander,
I love the way you kept a good mindset on this situation. What stood out to me was when you said, “ Making the most of things.” This can really help when you feel sad about COVID-19, and not being able to hang out with friends. I really connect with your idea on learning a bunch of new things. I personally have taken up skateboarding and also surfing at the local beach. One question I do want to ask though, is whether or not you have gone on to any online celebrations according to your senior farewell/goodbye. I am personally not a senior in high school, but if I were in your shoes, I would be disappointed, with it being your last year of high school.

Logan Backman
Logan Backman
September 10, 2020 3:59 pm

Dear Alexander,
I appreciate the fact that you were able to keep your self occupied instead of thinking of this awful pandemic. “I have spent this time to learn a bunch of new things.“ do you still use these skills? If I were in your shoes I would be very sad that I couldn’t have a graduation or have fun parties to celebrate and I feel really bad for you. Your post is inspirational and I would love to learn something new while sitting at home instead of playing video games.

August 30, 2020 9:04 pm

Dear Alexander,
I am intrigued by your post, “Making the most of things,” because I am also a senior in high school and I feel like we are in a really unique situation with not much options on what to do. I think many of us have a similar mindset as you, where all we are looking to do is push forward and get through all of this. One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “Taking advantage of the things we have, such as time to learn, time to spend with family, and access to so many online resources will not fix the issue or cure the world from the pandemic, but it just might make this whole experience a little bit easier.” I think this is encouraging because in a time where we find ourselves today, things can be really tough but the most important thing for us is self care and making sure we are living right. The things you listed will ensure that we are doing right, having fun, and most importantly that we are healthy. Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because your thoughts are similar to mine and that means I can reflect on things you may find helpful during these times and learn a lot from you.
Ricardo

May 19, 2020 4:42 am

I think your mindset of focusing on what we can do instead of what we can’t do is key to getting through these tough times. We can spend all day thinking about what we’re missing out on, but the only thing we can control in this situation is our outlook on it. I like that you’re learning to build a computer because I built one a few years ago and it was an awesome experience, plus once it’s built it’s gonna be a great way to kill time. I could definitely be doing more exciting things like learning cool flips and juggling, but instead I’ve found myself playing a lot of video games. It’s nice because quarantine is a great excuse to sit inside and play Xbox for hours on end because I’m social distancing. I definitely could be learning more useful skills because like you said there are countless online resources available, but as long as what I’m doing is keeping me happy I think that’s all that matters.

4
0
()