Ralph, one of the main characters in Lord of The Flies, has a few traits that influence his relationships with others.

One, he is demanding. Two, he is bossy. Three, he is stubborn.

These traits influence his relationships with others. “Ralph pushed Piggy to one side. “I was chief, and you were going to do what I said. You talk. But you can’t even build huts—then you go off hunting and let out the fire—” He turned away, silent for a moment. Then his voice came again on a peak of feeling. “There was a ship—’. ”  His stubbornness comes into play here when Piggy and a bunch of other hunters decide to put the fire/ smoke out so they could hunt a pig to eat. All of the kids were starving but Ralph did not care and instead he was mad because they let out the fire/ smoke which was bad especially since there was a boat that was passing. Ralph was so mad that he was upset at Piggy and Jack and him hit Piggy and smacked his glasses off his face.

Later, on page 127, Jack interacts with Ralph, basically telling Ralph and the others: ““I’m not going to play any longer. Not with you.” Most of the boys were looking down now, at the grass or their feet. Jack cleared his throat again. “I’m not going to be a part of Ralph’s lot—” He looked along the right-hand logs, numbering the hunters that had been a choir. “I’m going off by myself. He can catch his own pigs. Anyone who wants to hunt when I do can come too.”” Jack’s response here deepens a reader’s sense of Ralph’s terrible leadership skills, and sparks a feeling of hatred and for new change in who’s in order/ charge.

1. Alondra 7 days ago

Dear Emmanuel, I enjoyed reading your analysis of Ralph’s character development. Yes indeed his leadership skills were not the best fit but as the young teens and children did not have any supervision they turned to Ralph because he carried himself and had the physique of a leader. Although his choices were sometimes not reasonable the children followed even Jack could not demolish Ralph’s leadership when he decided to make his own tribe.

2. Zhelanea 2 weeks ago

Dear Emmanuel,
    I too have read the book Lord of the Flies. I agree that Ralph lacked some serious leadership skills. It showed how he couldn’t bring everyone together to work. He was often demeaning to other characters such as Piggy. The line you wrote, “Jack’s response here deepens a reader’s sense of Ralph’s terrible leadership skills, and sparks a feeling of hatred and for a new change in who’s in order/ charge.” It shows how he actually ended much dividing the group. I also agreed with the traits of demanding, bossy, and stubborn that you described him as.