person's right fist grayscale photography

Executive Director
Atlantic Ventures
The Atlantic
ATTN: Hayley Romer
60 Madison Avenue
6th Floor: The Atlantic
New York, NY 10010

Dear Brad Girson:

I’m writing to you about The Massacre of Black Wall Street: Graphic Novel. I am a student at the U School and we have been learning about the history of Black Wall Street. I learned about how white mobs destroyed Black Wall Street and also killed and imprisoned most of the residents there over 19-year-old Dick Rowland who supposedly assaulted Sarah Page, A 17-year-old white elevator operator.

First, I would like to share my reactions after reading and annotating the HBO Watchmen Sponsored partnership production, The Massacre of  Black Wall Street: Graphic Novel (The Atlantic) Something that stood out to me was how the police were kinda being sexist and didn’t really care for what the woman was saying but in your graphic novel it said, “No one knows what Page told the police”. Which I think hinted that she said a black man ( 19-year-old Dick Rowland ) which got the police attention.

In addition, from our reading and research, I learned some important social and economic conditions that existed in 1921 that connect to our present-day, 2021. In History.comEntrepreneurs Who Helped Build  Tulsa’s ‘Black Wall Street’,  Entrepreneurs Who Helped Build Tulsa’s ‘Black Wall Street I learned about O.W. Gurley the founder of Greenwood. He was born to freed slaves in Alabama, And became the owner of a general store in Perry, Oklahoma, And moved to Tusla where he became rich with oil and decided to sell residential and commercial plots to African Americans becoming a historical figure as the founder of Greenwood and inspiration to black entrepreneurs.

Lastly, I would like to ask a question about The Massacre of Black Wall Street: Graphic Novel. If Dick Rowland was never in the elevator with Sarah Page do you think The Massacre of Black Wall Street would still happen with a different scenario?

Jaylen CR

P.S. you should write back to me because I’m interested in what’s next… 

5 1 vote
April 21, 2022 5:37 pm

Dear Jaylen, I am intrigued by your post, “What’s Next?” because it was a very informative piece. You shared your thoughts and emotions throughout which really help the reader understand and unlitmealty see things from a different perspective.
One sentence you wrote that stands out to me is, ” He was born to freed slaves in Alabama, And became the owner of a general store in Perry, Oklahoma, And moved to Tusla where he became rich with oil and decided to sell residential and commercial plots to African Americans becoming a historical figure as the founder of Greenwood and inspiration to black entrepreneurs” This is important because it really send the message that where someone comes from doesn’t determine where they are going. This is inspiring because it shows that everyone has the capability to turn their lives around no matter how bad it may seem.
Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because your messages are important and informative to many.
-Natalie

February 28, 2022 8:19 pm

i loved your letter. and the paragraphs are well formed. and how you used strong words in your letter.

2
0
()