brown wooden surface

The power of language is the most important factor in today’s society. There are a wide variety of forms of language prevalent throughout the world: oral language, written language, and body language. Individuals express their ideas and feelings using these many forms. While different types of language may be used, the primary purpose for all forms of language is to communicate with others. It is a key factor in the success of communication. The power of language has many positive attributes, which are shown through the statement, “The ancient art of reading aloud has a number of benefits for adults, from helping improve our memories and understand complex texts, to strengthening emotional bonds between people” (Hardach). It conveys the importance of human connection that is formed through social intercourse. Through the power of language, relationships are made around society, which is demonstrated by the quote, “There were participants who talked about how when someone is reading aloud to you, you feel a bit like you’re given a gift of their time, of their attention, of their voice,” Duncan recalls. “We see this in the reading to children, that sense of closeness and bonding” (Hardach). In order to share experiences with one another, communicate effectively, and create stronger bonds, we use the power of language. 

The more language is used, the more powerful one’s connection with the community becomes. Social relations are strengthened the more human interactions occur because “Language is delineated as “a social practice” (Fowler 61), by which power relations are established and sustained” (Sourgo). The success of any relationship relies on one’s ability to communicate well. Efficient transmission is based on the way we talk and listen, especially how we respond. Overall, the power of language develops the aspect of civilization, helps individuals to participate in society, and make connections with the world around them. 

Hardach, Sophie. “Why You Should Read This out Loud.” BBC Future, BBC, 17 Sept. 2020, 

www.bbc.com/future/article/20200917-the-surprising-power-of-reading-aloud.

Sourgo, Youssef. “Power, Language and Social Relations: Doing Things with Words.” Morocco 

World News, Morocco World News, 17 July 2020, 

www.moroccoworldnews.com/2013/07/99544/power-language-and-social-relations-doin

g-things-with-words/. #RHS