There has been growing concern among Utahns regarding the construction of a pipeline that would extend from Lake Powell to St. George and provide drinking water to the community. Many people are in favor of the decision as it makes it easier to get water in a desert area like southern Utah. Other people fear the damage it would cause to the environment because it is similar to the Alaskan pipeline that extends across the state of Alaska and disrupts the environment of that area. The image below shows where the pipeline would be running across Utah.

This article from the Salt Lake Tribune, “After insisting on expedited review, Utah now asks feds to delay Lake Powell pipeline decision,” discusses how a pipeline that would extend 143 miles from Lake Powell to St. George would provide water to the area because of its rapid growth. However, recently, state water officials have asked the Interior department to slow down this billion-dollar project. This was done because of 14,000 responses to an environmental impact statement (EIS) to which the U.S. Bureau of Reclamation is supposed to have a final EIS decision by November.

According to the Utah Rivers Council, this “$3+ billion dollar project” has many issues with wasteful spending and use of water. Because this pipeline would create a massive diversion from the Colorado River, it would have to pump 28 billion gallons 2,000 feet uphill across 140 miles for only 160,000 residents. These residents are among the wasteful municipal water users in America and would use most of the water for watering their lawns. This has a long standing impact as much of the water will not be able to flow through the Grand Canyon and to the ocean.

0
()