Reading motivation is defined as “the motivational drive to read, an area of interest in the field of education,” (McRae, Guthrie, 2009); and the lack of motivation for reading has been a growing problem in the school system.  It is especially prevalent in elementary-aged students because this is when children learn to read.  Lack of motivation for reading is a problem that needs to be addressed because if it continues to grow, it will not only impact the child’s life, but also society as a whole.  

Motivation comes from having a reason to do something, and the most popular reason for recreational reading is enjoyment. Students who read for their enjoyment have been proven to do better academically than those who read assigned texts from their teachers. Students who are less self-motivated start to avoid reading, which negatively impacts their reading comprehension. Even if those students are doing the assigned reading, it does not mean that they comprehend what they are reading. 

So the question is “how can we motivate students to read before the lack of reading negatively affects their lives?”  One simple answer is to make reading fun. Teachers can implement games or give incentives for completing an assignment.  One especially effective way to motivate students is with technology.  In today’s world, technology is everywhere, and it only makes sense that students would be more inclined to participate when using it.    

There is not only one solution to this problem. Schools should have teachers start to motivate students to read.  Even though this might not seem like an issue in our society, reading impacts our lives every day.  This is a problem that needs to be rectified to allow present and future students to succeed.  

https://digitalcommons.brockport.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1603&context=ehd_theses
https://www.readingrockets.org/article/teacher-practices-impact-reading-motivation

1. Keira 2 weeks ago

Maria,
    I like how you mentioned that a lack of motivation to read is a growing problem leading to a negative impact on reading comprehension and intelligence as a whole. I find myself fighting the battle to read more and constantly feel that my vocabulary is lacking. Reading this article has brought to life some of my struggles and I hope it helps others realize the importance of reading as well. Thank you.