My name is Holley and animals are kinda my thing. Who i am is hard to describe because animals are such a big part of me. I can’t even imagine where i would be if i didn’t have my creatures to give me some support. Not to brag but i own some cool animals. Prepare for a long journey of me listing all twenty two of my animals. I currently own a python, a boa, 4 furry rats, 2 naked rats, 4 mice, 2 cats, 3 dogs, 1 hedgehog, 2 Madagascar hissing cockroaches, a gerbil and a beta fish named Dude. For me personally i don’t like to talk about my past or what i’ve been through so i will just leave this here for who i am. An animal lover.

Lanier High School is probably the best school I have ever been to. (I’d been to a lot). The place was filled with so many different personalities that blend so perfectly well together. At first, I felt left out of things, I wasn’t from around there, and I did not know anyone. Everyone else that already had their cliques. That was until found a really sweet, dorky group of people. I personally loved the agriculture program, it helped me learn about a bunch of really useful things for my (hopefully) future career as a zoologist. Outside of school, I enjoy a variety of things, including violin, animal keeping, helping, and volunteering as an animal educator (or cleanup crew). It keeps me on my toes!

I don’t live in the same community where I go to school; I don’t even live in Austin. I live in the suburbs of North of Austin. They are very different from each other. I don’t know much about this community, other than i get called “rich girl” or “white girl.” I never really know what to say, but i guess it kind sucks just to have labels on you in general. I believe that labels stop people from really knowing who each other are and that’s baloney. My neighborhood is pretty basic, it’s a family community with lots of people. Nothing important ever happens where i live. There really isn’t anything else to add on that.

Cash
September 25, 2019 6:24 pm

Dear Holley:
Your post is astounding. Is your guardian on board with having that many animals? How do you find time to take care of all those animals? How much does food cost? Where do you keep them? The sentence that stands out for me is: “I currently own a python, a boa, 4 furry rats, 2 naked rats, 4 mice, 2 cats, 3 dogs, 1 hedgehog, 2 Madagascar hissing cockroaches, a gerbil and a beta fish named Dude.” This is unbelievable to me. I can’t imagine having so much responsibility for so many animals.

Ashley
April 15, 2019 1:10 pm

Dear Holly :

I am shocked by your poem, “Kinda My Thing,” because I think it’s interesting that you own so many animals especially snakes and rats. I would be scared of living with them.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “I currently own a python, a boa, 4 furry rats, 2 naked rats, 5 mice, 2 cats, 3 dogs, 2 Madagascar hissing cockroaches, a gerbil and a beta fish named Dude.” I think this is shocking because I’ve never heard or read anything about someone owning anything like those other then a zoo.”

Another sentence that I loved was: “For me personally i don’t like to talk about my past or what i’ve been through so i will just leave this here for who i am. An animal lover.” This stood out for me because I like how you enjoy being yourself regardless what others think. It’s cool that you have your pets to keep you company.

Your poem reminds me of something that happened to me. One time I owned a turtle but I had to throw it away because someone told me it would spread diseases.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next because your enthusiasm is great. Your positive attitude inspires people to be who they are.

Derek
April 15, 2019 12:58 pm

I have many pets too. I currently have 3 chihuahuas, 1 poodle/maltese mix, ball python, rough green snake, 2 Crested geckos, 2 anoles, 4 rats, and 1 quaker parrot.

Amani
April 12, 2019 3:51 pm

Holley, I really enjoyed reading a little bit about you. As someone who was never allowed to get a pet, I am fascinated by all the pets you own. Some of them are so unique and interesting, I have never known anyone who owns a madagascar hissing cockroach. I too have felt like I don’t fit in sometimes, but if one are open, they are always able to find people they can relate too, just like you did. Thanks for sharing.

Katherine
April 11, 2019 5:06 pm

Holley, this is all really interesting! All of the pets you own sound amazing and as someone who loves rats, it was very exciting to read that you have six of them. I understand the feeling of not fitting in, but I am very glad that you now have a group of friends that you seemingly really like! I can’t wait to read what you write next.

Ashley
April 10, 2019 2:15 pm

Hi Holley. I think it’s interesting that you own so many animals especially snakes and rats. I would be scared of living with them.

8
0
()