Dear Early Birds,

I know everyone thinks school should start early. You know, the early bird gets the worm and all that stuff.

But you know what?

There is a lot to be said about getting enough sleep so you are ready to learn. I think kids should have the option to go to school later.

I feel like schools should have the option for later start days in the week. I know that knowing if I went to a school that had a late start day I’d want to go. I wouldn’t have to get up that early.

I know that I have a really hard time getting up in the morning. I never want to go to school. I think that if some schools had a late start day or an option to do online school kids would want to go. Even with kids that don’t like school.

I know that school is not my favorite thing in the world. I like how my school has said you have to be there before 12 so if I sleep in or I’m still tired I don’t have to go right at 8.

I think that most schools should have the chance to have a late start day or have an online program. I think in my opinion kids should have these options because I think that it could be better for kids who can’t always get to school on top of every day.

They should have these options to succeed in school even if they can’t get there every single day. If kids are falling behind I think this could be a great program for them to get caught up. In conclusion, I feel like schools should really have these programs for kids or something like that.

I know that the program at my school program is really helping. I know I didn’t want to come at first because I had to wake up at 8 but now that I know it is helping me succeed I want to come.

Having the option to work at a center and set my schedule is helping me finish my classes and be successful.

One of the late birds

Photo by OpenClipart-Vectors (Pixabay)

1. Osiris 3 months ago

Dear, Tatianna: I am touched with your post “Kids should be able to sleep late” because I agree that schools should have a program for allowing student to enter late to class. Schools should have late classes for students who do not get enough sleep or who can not wake up early in the morning.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is “I like how my school has said you have to be there before 12 so if I sleep in or I’m still tired I do not have to go right at 8.” I think this is accurate because if student have a later time to go to school they would be more ready and well rested to start the day.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because I would like to see if the school boards are on board with what you are saying. I also look forward to reading more of your ideas about how schools can improve for the students.

Osiris Meraz-Morfin

2. Beverly 9 months ago

Dear Tatianna,
    I couldn’t agree with you more. I school starts at an early time too and it’s annoying having to get up to go to school at an earlier time. Unfortunately, i don’t have the option like you do but i do try my best to wake up on time even though am almost always running after the bus. I like that the option of your school works for you and hopefully, in the future, other schools will integrate that.

3. Cory 9 months ago

Dear Tatianna,
    I agree with your statement. You make a clear point, and I also think we should have all the schools do what we do with starting at whatever time we want. I think it’s right because maybe people have things to do the day before and just don’t get enough sleep. Therefore I think you’re correct and I agree with all you said on this letter.