Screens have not only had a big impact on our young children today but have taken a toll on our teenagers as well. Screens have a video deficit which means that children learn better from real human interactions than they could ever learn or try and comprehend from a screen. Scientists have noted that screens can be beneficial only when the parents are reinforcing the information presented with them and at their side, otherwise the information presented does not retain and is not able to understand within the time frame. For children, less than 2 screens provide them with no information because their brains are still learning and vulnerable they can’t comprehend the information and can only learn through human connections and interactions. In a study where they did different types of screen interactions to try and get the 23-32 month-year-olds to learn a new word, they found that none of the interactions through the screens stuck with the children and were not found to be beneficial. Although scientists recently found that live and real interactions like skype or zoom call on screens have improved helping the connections for the young children.
Recently, scientists have found that the actual structure of the brain itself has changed with increased amounts of screentime. They have found an increase in the amount of white matter inside the brain, the white matter is the fibrosis tissue that connects different parts of the brain. These connections of the brain are found to support the development of emerging abilities such as literacy and language skills. In new findings, scientists have also made a genetic component linked to screens where parents who are glued to their screens are providing screens to their children with high amounts of time to make more time for them to use screens. So these children are being predisposed to have a connection to screens and glued to their screens at an early age.
Despite the negative reputation of screens with children, scientists have found that action video games might offer a variety of benefits for learning like depth perception, visual memory, spatial awareness, and time management between tasks. Because of the hand-eye coordination and fast reflexes that video games require it helps aid the cognitive development in children. Despite the bad reputation that video games are said to have linked to an increase in violence, scientists have disproved this theory.
In addition to the negative toll that screens have on young children’s development, they have also found a big correlation between teenagers and the stress linked to their phones. More than half of teens suffer from withdrawal from their phones and have increased feelings of loneliness, anxiety, and being upset when their phones are not in their pockets and physically touching them. In addition to teens’ need to have a phone 24/7 scientists have found a correlation between screens and behavioral disorders such as ADHD, anxiety, depression, and other learning disabilities in people under the age of 18 with nearly a 10 percent increase than found prior. According to the researchers, the more teenagers used digital devices and checked social media, the more likely they were to show ADHD symptoms, including inattention, hyperactivity, and restlessness, Discovery Magazine 2022. Although with the recent development of technology and social media there isn’t enough data to support these claims due to the new era of technology. Along with this scientists also find teens suffer from delayed gratification because they struggle with attention problems and immediate gratification from social media likes and comments. New data is being found each day in studies discovering the impact that screens are having on our future generations, but because this is all so new scientists are unaware of the long-lasting effects that these will have on the next generation.

0
()