This is my Shadow Box. This Shadow Box represents the dominant narrative and counter narrative. The difference between these two is that dominant narrative means how society sees you as and counter narrative means how you see yourself as. I see myself as a proud Mexican because that is my Ethnicity that is where my parents came from. Society sees me as an Immigrant just because I’m Mexican when in reality my Nationality is American because I was born in the United States. When people look at me, they think I’m weak because I lost loved ones that mean alot of me but in reality I’m a strong person I manage to keep my head up even when life gets hard and that is what makes me strong. Many people may believe that being female as my assigned Sex and chosen Gender. you have to be a woman of the house when in reality us women are able to many things as man. The heart I have in the middle of my flag is my heart because I love where I come from.

Anthony
April 17, 2019 6:54 pm

Dear Jocelyn,
I am sad to see that you have put that quote of President Trump on your Shadow box. I understand that being Mexican is hard due to political debates. I believe that you should not allow society to see in this form. Society cannot judge you because you are Mexican. Demonstrate to society that you are not what Trump; you can display it by letting your counter-narrative speak. In your shadow box, there are two flowers. One is gold and the other is white. I am a bit confused about why they are there. Is there some kind of significance for the difference? However, I do see that you display great pride to be Mexican. This is great because it demonstrates that you are not ashamed and you have great pride.
Once again I am thankful for allowing me to see your shadow box and hope you have a bright future ahead.

Ariel
April 17, 2019 4:06 am

Hello Jocelyn,
First I would like to say that I appreciate your honestly and boldness to self reflect and really dig into those questions of what you think society thinks of you and what you think of yourself. I also wanted to say that you talking about something so sensitive as family deaths is not easy, and I think that writing about it shows boldness and maturity in that your are able to think about it as well as share it with an audience.

Some things that struck my attention:

You said you are frustrated that society sees you as an immigrant even though you are Mexican-American.
What do you think are some things about you that make others think you are an immigrant? And what about this assumption of you do you think makes you frustrated?

Secondly, you mentioned that you think that people, when they look at you, assume you are weak because of the fact that you have lost loved ones. First of all, I’m sorry to hear that you are receiving this response from people about something that is so sensitive.
But I am curious as to what kinds of ways people make you feel weak and how do you often respond?

Leslie

Dear Jocelyn,
I am impressed by your piece of writing “Jocelyn’s Shadow Box” because your words were powerful and you talked about a topic that is very important and sensitive sometimes. One sentence you wrote that stood out to me was “you have to be a woman of the house when in reality us women are able to many things as man.” I think this is a stereotype that many women face and stay silent about it but you were able to address this stereotype.

3
0
()