black Fayorit typewriter with printer paper

After reading the first chapter of Charlotte Brontë’s Jane Eyre, I have decided to draw inspiration from the narrator’s distinctly detailed observations of her settings that are interspersed between the dialogue in the novel, as the descriptions of her setting helps to explain her own actions.

By incorporating highly detailed descriptions of the setting from the narrator’s point of view, the reader is able to visualize the physical descriptions of the setting, and this also helps to strengthen the characterization of the narrator through her thoughts and observations on what she notes around her. Following a short line of dialogue on page one, Jane begins to note her surroundings, and then she proceeds to interact with her setting. She first notes that “A small breakfast-room adjoined the drawing room,” and then, immediately following her observation, she “slipped in there” (Brontë 1). Again, following this same pattern, she then observes that “It contained a bookcase,” and then, to interact with the setting, she “soon possessed myself of a volume, taking care that it should be one stored with pictures” (Brontë 1). Intertwining the character’s observations with her own actions allows the author to proceed with the storyline while also ensuring that the reader is able to visualize the storyline itself.

Likewise, in my own story, I will be developing a complex portrayal of nature, and by following the pattern that Charlotte Brontë uses, I will be able to have my characters interact with their environment in an organic way; they will first observe their surroundings, and then they will use their observations to guide their actions and dialogue.

1. Rachel 1 month ago

Dear Sarah:
    I really enjoyed this post because you clearly outlined how the narrator was characterized and how you plan to use what you learned in your own writing.
    Something that stands out for me was when you said that your characters will,  “first observe their surroundings, and then they will use their observations to guide their actions and dialogue.” This is a great way to apply what you learned as it helps the characters to seem more like real people. In the real world, people react based off of what they take in through their senses and so the characters act more organically when they incorporate these aspects. It also helps the world of the story become three dimensional for the reader.
    Thanks for your post, as it was intriguing and very helpful. You had good evidence and insightful reasoning. I look forward to seeing what you make next.