The novel Jane Eyre, written by Charlotte Brontë, opens with the melancholy scene of a poor orphan girl, who whilst coping with her parents death, must also live with a family that mistreats her. The story has already centered around a young girl who lacks the care she needs to flourish, cast aside by even her own family members.

A character who cannot possibly either relate or conform to society and its stringent expectations, she inspired me in many ways. Choosing a main character that does not display any necessarily impressive talents or gifts, perhaps may be one the best decisions when writing a story. It is in the ordinary people that we find the most strength, because they are oftentimes cast aside. Society constantly reminds people that to be noticed, one must be extraordinary. Being ordinary alone is not enough. Jane Eyre’s character, one that may not be society’s definition of extraordinary by any means, already demonstrates a quiet strength that, although may not be noticeable, exists. It is when people struggle in the darkness, with no one watching, that they are able to grow stronger in who they are. Jane’s character, a character that must undergo suffering without an audience, poses as a great reminder that our own suffering, when endured in the silence, can bring about the most personal growth and self empowerment. 

0
()