Follow this link to see this comment in the original context.

This could cause intense frustration because she doesn’t have the ability to fully express herself in those mediums. I think it would be important to find ways to continue stimulating her intellectual development and creating ways for her to continue developing her oral literacy skills while scaffolding her reading and writing to gradually catch up. I think a big danger is to “dumb down” material to the existing level of her reading and writing skills. This can cause disengagement and frustration. Instead, the challenge is to scaffold and find adaptations that can meet her at her intellectual level despite the lagging skills. Some ideas might be: using audio books (mentioned elsewhere as effective); a scribe or voice-to-text program; multimodal literacy projects and opportunities for using visual or other multimedia forms for demonstrating understanding; ample opportunity for classroom discussion in which Jane can use her strong vocabulary and verbal language students to be a leader amongst her peers.

Youth Voices is an open publishing and social networking platform for youth. The site is organized by teachers with support from the National Writing Project. Opinions expressed by writers are their own.  See more About Youth Voices. Terms of Service. Privacy Policy.All work on Youth Voices is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License

Help on Youth Voices