One of the most popular vape pens, the “juul” is being overflowed by kids and teenagers. According to 2019 Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids, what makes the Juul so popular is, “They are sleek, high tech and easy to hide… Juul comes in flavors that appeal to youth, including mango, fruit, creme, mint, menthol and cucumber. Research shows that flavors play a key role in youth use of tobacco products, including e-cigarettes”. Considering all of this, each Juul “pod” (cartridge of nicotine liquid) contains as much nicotine as a pack of cigarettes. Therefore, The appeal to the youth combined with the high nicotine concentration is leading to major health problems.

As the vaping epidemic spreads there are more health issues arising. There are more and more cases being published day by day caused by vaping. According to WebMD Health News,  “The most common symptoms of vaping include; shortness of breath, chest pain, fatigue and vomiting.” Because of this, The FDA is planning to create an enforcement plan to prevent these products from reaching the hands of teenagers and children. 

The FDA is launching a new campaign, “ The Real Cost” to reach the younger age group that is mostly getting affected by this epidemic. Ads are being put into social media including, Youtube, Instagram and Snapchat to catch the eyes of teenagers. The FDA claims that its campaign is based on the best available scientific methods to prevent the further use of vaping products. With this in mind, The FDA is getting closer to reaching its goal of stopping the youth vaping epidemic.

trackback
Vaping in Adolescents – Youth Voices

[…] products such as Juul it has been in popular demand because  “According to the 2019 Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids, what makes the Juul so popular is, ‘They … In summary, the leading cause for addiction is the addictive flavors provided in the Juul […]

Ryan W
November 22, 2019 5:19 am

Hi Kaan,

I noticed right away when reading our post that it appears much of the allure of e-cigarettes and juuls are their variety of flavors. I agree that this is a major factor making juul and other e-cigarettes seem much less harmful than they are. I hear your point about the health risks that are arising with e-cigarette use, and I agree that this should be at the forefront of discussion. I didn’t realize that the FDA was the one that launched “The Real Cost” ad campaign. This changed my point of view on how the government is handling this epidemic, since I didn’t know the extent to which they were involved in anti-advertising e-cigarettes. When I finished reading your post, I couldn’t help but wonder what you think can be done about vaping in the high school, and the general use among high school kids?

Thanks,
Ryan W

Juan R
Juan R
November 21, 2019 8:37 pm

Hi Kaan,
This is a really good piece on the whole JUUL epidemic its really eye opening and you bring up a lot of good points, do you think there is a lack of research on the long term effects on vaping since this is all new as opposed to cigarettes and how they’ve been around for so much longer and have been researched thoroughly?

-Juan R

Matteo
Matteo
November 20, 2019 8:23 pm

Hey Kaan,

I like when you talk about how a juul pod is equivalent to smoking a pack of cigarettes because I feel like this information is not informed as much to teens. In my experience many teens think that vaping is a way to keep kids off cigarettes, but it is not a safer option. Also your point about trying to make a plan to prevent juice from stores and kids hands is a smart way to reduce vaping as making it less accessible will lead to fewer teens vaping. This post has lead me to be more aware of this issue and take time to think about what to do to try and help reduce the epidemic.

Matteo D

Jacob Mueller
Jacob Mueller
November 20, 2019 7:54 pm

Hi Maggie,

Your point is valid that using vape products does indeed help keep kids away from cigarettes, but many kids claim to never want to try cigarettes. This is based on the “disgusting” element that smoking offers with the bad smells, tar that goes into your lungs, and the fact that it has an impact on your physical health (meaning facial features and teeth). Kids are more tuned into vaping because there are no “disgusting” factors to it because it has been marketed for years as “water vapor”. Here’s an article that talks about kids and smoking: cigarettes.https://www.lung.org/stop-smoking/smoking-facts/why-kids-start-smoking.html. I think that students are much more willing to try vaping rather than smoking cigarettes for two reasons: the “disgust” factor explained above and also the studies that have shown the impact of smoking. I know that vaping is fairly new, and we should not look at it as “healthy”, but I believe we are putting “healthier” products into our body when vaping than when smoking, even though both are bad. At my school, I have conducted research, and while about 60% of 12th graders have claimed to vape before, only 5% have smoked a cigarette. Do you believe that e-cigs and vapes are the reason why students aren’t turning to cigarettes and cigars for a nicotine buzz?
Jake

Hanson
November 19, 2019 6:06 pm

Hey Kann,
Your article about the vaping is amazing! I totally agree with the dagereous of the Juul. Here is another article I read about the dangerous of vaping(https://www.yalemedicine.org/stories/teen-vaping/) I hope this can help you about this article can have a better understanding of vaping.

November 5, 2019 8:59 pm

Hello, Kaan,
I Totoaly agree with your article. with all of the media coverage it is very obvious that these products are not good for anyone. https://www.health.com/smoking/dangers-of-vaping this article goes into depth about the different issues associated with this if you are interested in viewing.

I hope this was insightful,
Dakota

November 4, 2019 7:07 pm

Hi Kaan,

I totally agree about your ideas. Also I think they are dangerous for kids and teenagers so they should be forbidden.

Sincerely
Kutay

Sophia
November 4, 2019 6:04 pm

Hey Kaan,
Obviously vapes are very dangerous and need to be banned. The juul CEO has even stepped down in this time of crisis ( https://www.npr.org/2019/09/25/764201798/juul-will-agree-to-ban-on-flavored-vaping-products-says-its-ceo-is-stepping-down). I hope this gets under control soon before it does even more damage on teenagers lungs.

Sophia Bartlit

Maggie
November 4, 2019 5:57 pm

Hey Kaan!
So to me it seems like your conclusion is the the Juul is indeed not cool. But what about the fact that it is keeping kids off of cigarettes? This article ( https://www.nicorette.com/amp/truths-about-vaping-how-to-stop.html?gclsrc=aw.ds&&gclid=Cj0KCQiAtf_tBRDtARIsAIbAKe3kWisS0oYGPnDWo1F-Dgnv3Icr9oUnVgCM4UW4ZrBXoZGZi1yEl3caAovBEALw_wcB ) mentions that it isn’t safe but it may be safer? Any comments?
– Best of wishes
Maggie Harmston

10
0
()