When it comes to academic qualifications, we sometimes seem to regard them as the criteria by which we judge whether a person is smart or talented. But is this really the case? To answer this question, we should first answer what is the academic qualification. In a nutshell, it is where you finished your final education. Where you went, the popularity of your school, and the name of your title graduation all determine whether your academic qualification is perceived by others as a good way to label you as smart or competent. So why is an academic qualification regarded by many people as a measure of one’s intelligence? Because through college, graduate school, or even a PhD, we assume that you have a certain capacity to store and use the knowledge. And many companies today don’t have a best way to test your knowledge base and your ability to use it when hiring people. They estimate your ability based on your education most of the time. So it’s more like someone else wants us to have a degree to help. Like Microsoft, this is their recruitment requirements: Qualifications. Candidates must be in their first or second year of college and enrolled in a bachelor’s degree program in the United States, Canada, or Mexico with a demonstrated interest in majoring in computer science, computer engineering, software engineering or related technical major.

So is an academic qualification that important? I think the answer is positive. In this fast-paced world has given us everything a tag. Tags allow others to quickly learn about something or make an impression. But at the same time, my answer is negative, because the academic qualification is just a tag. It is not a goal in your learning process, or I can say it is just a place you may reach during the learning process. Getting an academic qualification is not the end of your education. I think whether a person is smart depends on whether he has the ability to keep learning. There are a lot of successful people who don’t have very high official degrees like Bill Gates and Steve Jobs. They all drop out and choose to do what they love. They dropped out, but they didn’t quit learning. As a result, they were both quite successful.

Thirty-four percent of U.S.-born Americans have a four-year college degree. That rate is similar to that 33 percent of those born in other countries. Honestly, this is not a high number but I think it’s not that bad. One out of every three people has gone to college. So one out of every three people has a college degree. But I believe that the truly outstanding among these people will be a very small minority. And there is also a small percentage of people who didn’t go to college and are outstanding as well. So the academic qualification is not the absolute measure of whether you can become better than others. In a word, if you continue to study, you will certainly get a good diploma. This diploma is useful because many times we can use it as a condition for doing something. But I don’t want you to study for only that diploma.

Reference

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2018/01/it-s-time-to-bring-our-planet-back-from-the-brink-together-now/

1. Josie Hathaway 1 month ago

Dear Yangliu,
    Your post, “Is the academic qualification really that important?“ Really caught my eye because I think it is a topic that is important to examine. I think that many people judge someone’s level of intelligence based on their academic qualifications, as you stated in your post. However, what truly peaked my interest was when you said “I think whether a person is smart depends on whether he has the ability to keep learning. “ This statement really caught my eye, as I thought about this topic from a new perspective. Truly, learning is the goal to achieving academic excellence, and when people lost sight of this, it can be detrimental to success. I agree with you in that many times people in school push for the grades, not the learning, which is truly the most important part of education. For example, my grandpa never went to college and was a printer until he retired. My grandpa was one of the smartest, kindest, and knowledgeable man I have ever met. He had an amount of wisdom that is truly remarkable, and he never went to college. Whenever I would stress out about my grades, my grandpa always reminded me that as long as I am learning, I am succeeding. This post is truly great and offers insightful information based on learning and succeeding without certain qualifications. I look forward to seeing what you will post in your future!

2. Madison 1 month ago

Dear Yangliu,

Your post, “Is the academic qualification really that important?,” caught my eye and was an extremely interesting read! The multiple perspectives and insights given were question-arising and they undoubtedly peaked my interest. I especially think the question you asked discussing whether or not an academic qualification should be “regarded by many people as a measure of one’s intelligence?” is really captivating. I think this is interesting because of the many different possible views. The part of reasoning you gave for the more positive view, regarding tags, was really interesting and unique, especially in the idea that we are all living in a rather fast paced world. Almost immediately our brains or minds associate certain topics or ideas to certain “tags” or labels generated, which I think can be both a negative and positive thing. I also agree more so with the negative view because where we go to school or the degrees we earn should not be the face of our intelligence. Also, learning not only stems from school but it also comes from the experiences we face outside of the school building as well, such as certain tribulations in our lives that teach us certain lessons. One of my own family members, my father, never got a degree and he is truly one of the smartest and most intelligent person I know. This was a great project and I look forward to reading your next possible posts, especially because I think the insight you come up with is really interesting and thought provoking!