Gayle
April 5, 2024 5:14 am

Jacey, I love how well you brought up urban renewal and went on to explain why it is a problem. Politicians do try to say that Black americans are crazy for being upset about urban renewal but we know that we have a 50/50 chance of being pushed out of our homes. What bill would you send to those in power to help black americans benefit from urban renewal

Nadya
April 5, 2024 4:14 am

You use a clear, analytical style to methodically unpack the connections between urban planning, racism, and the legacy of slavery, building towards a compelling call to redefine the meaning of “urban renewal” for Black Americans. The analysis is accessible and engaging, blending historical context, sociopolitical insights, and personal reflections to shed light on how the physical landscape of cities can both reflect and perpetuate systemic inequalities. You also conclude wit a great statement on how this research needs to be continued further

April 4, 2024 1:19 pm

You caught my interest by giving background knowledge on urban renewal in your paragraphs. You wrote in a really thorough manner the entire time. I have a question for you regarding your opinions on urban renewal. Do you think African Americans as a whole will ever profit from urban renewal?

Cassidy
April 3, 2024 4:20 pm

I chose to read your piece because the first thing I saw was the very intricate picture, which can perfectly depict the topic you discuss. In regards to your writing, I really like how you captured the idea of how urban renewal is not beneficial to the Black community at all and can seriously destroy the communities that were already made. This writing was also quite engaging and was beautifully explained.

Kelsey
April 3, 2024 4:20 pm

I was drawn to your post because of the symbolism of the cover image. Though it may seem simple, I think it perfectly represents gentrification and urban renewal that destroys Black neighborhoods by building homes in that are too expensive for the natives of the neighborhoods to afford that all look the same. I like that the cars are all a grey color because it shows how urban renewal sucks the life and color out of POC neighborhoods. I also love your writing especially how you highlight the misconception that urban renewal helps everyone, by listing all the way it hurts Black communities.

Kaylin
April 3, 2024 4:12 pm

What caught my attention was your introduction paragraph because of your claim, “This is evident in the notorious traffic jams of Atlanta, which serve as a prime example of modern-day segregation.” Your first and second paragraph are very engaging because they give the reader context to the topic of urban renewal. Your writing was very thorough throughout its entirety. I have a question regarding your opinion on the topic of urban renewal. Do you think urban renewal can ever be a positive event for African Americans collectively? Lastly, great job overall!
(Comment on “Urban Renewal: A Black Lens” by Jacey Newsome)

Last edited 3 months ago by Kaylin

6
0
()