woman in green tank top and black shorts doing yoga during daytime

Emotion can affect the cognitive function, energy level, and physical performance of an athlete. If an athlete is in a state of frustration, it is best for them to try to shift themselves into a happier mood, rather than dwelling on what made them frustrated. There are many things they can do to lift their spirits like listening to music or just taking a minute to breathe. 

Taking a time out isn’t a bad thing. Negativity doesn’t always come from the athlete, it can come from outside sources like the things/people that surround them. People allow small things like the news to overtake mental and emotional states of mind. While it is important to stay updated on the world, whether it be troubling or not, it is equally important to find a balance and keep a positive state of mind. 

Now, this might sound a little weird, but ongoing research in sports psychology has proven that practicing positive self-talk can improve an athlete’s performance. Psychologists believe that these thoughts can create and ultimately drive their actions. This can be in the form of a positive mantra (like a phrase or sentence). Positive self-talk can help reduce anxiety and increase self-confidence in an athlete. 

A positive attitude is important for an athlete’s performance when it comes to their cognitive function, energy level, and physical abilities. When an athlete is down, they should do anything they can to improve their mood/ self-esteem for optimal performance. Serious athletes devote most of their time to the physical aspects of their sports and while this is important, an athlete’s attitude is just as important. 

Ava

I found this article fascinating Andrea. When you said that “in sports psychology has proven that practicing positive self-talk can improve an athlete’s performance”  I found this easy to resignate with and a great reminder as an athlete. With state coming up for my tennis season I find myself very stressed and down on myself, but I agree with the idea that positive talk is one of the best ways to improve performance. I included a link below to another article about this topic I thought you might enjoy. Thank you so much for writing this piece! I can’t wait to keep reading your pieces in the future!

https://www.verywellmind.com/what-is-sports-psychology-2794906

October 4, 2021 6:47 am

Dear Andrea

Thank you for sharing how every emotion of an athlete matters when they are playing. I liked how you gave examples of what athletes can do to have a positive mindset. Many athletes struggle with the things that surround them. Causing them to have a bad performance. Another thing that I liked that you mentioned is how athletes talk to themself to help with their mood. Many people see that method as a wired conversation to themself but it is really helpful with their self-motivation.

Jonathan
September 20, 2021 3:08 am

Dear, Andrea: I am impressed that you noticed that emotions affect athletes performance because this is a topic no one talks about. One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is”If an athlete is in a state of frustration, it is best for them to try to shift themselves into a happier mood, rather than dwelling on what made them frustrated.” I think this is very true because aggressive and he/she won’t think of what there doing and just do it. Thanks for writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because you talk about topic people don’t talk about and this is something coaches should teach athletes because it would make them a much better athlete.

3
0
()