These are some of my thoughts on the first part of “The Hate U Give.” You can see all of my comments on this part of the novel on NowComment.

Paragraph 182 of “The Hate U Give” by Angie Thomas might leave a reader feeling upset because the character Khalil was just shot and killed for no good reason. Here’s the description: “One. Khalil’s body jerks. Blood splatters from his back. He holds on to the door to keep himself upright.” This is upsetting because he was just shot and killed in cold blood 

So far, the injustice and discrimination in “The Hate U Give” might remind a reader of a story in the news. This man named Walter Wallace who was diagnosed with bipolar disorder was walking towards police with a knife. Instead of the officers diffusing the situation and trying to help Mr. Wallace, they immediately pointed their guns at him and started firing when he failed to put the knife down after being told to do so. A man in a mental crisis cannot just easily obey orders. Instead of trying to help him they shot and killed him.

After this part of the book, most readers probably will not be looking forward to reading the rest of this book because it already started off with an unjustified murder. What’s probably going to happen next is they’ll probably begin to protest and riot in the name of justice in order for the officer who committed the act to be sentenced to jail.

1. Lexie 3 weeks ago

Brendaly,
    I really liked the way you compare the two incidents, one in a book the other in the street. I can definitely see the connection!

Brendaly 3 weeks ago

Yes it gives a sense that it isn’t just another fiction story it’s reality and and it needs to end

2. Mayra 3 weeks ago

I agree with the connection made between the novel and the Wallace case. Many of the officers that were involved should have the training to deal with a mental illness case that would have bettered the situation and should take responsibility for what happened. Many of the events that happen in the novel can relate to many of the injustices that go on today even protests and riots.

Brendaly 2 weeks ago

Yes a lot of these actions committed in the story does happen in reality and I definitely agree with you on the officers needing extra training in order to deal with cases of mental illness and also disabilities

3. Melissa 3 weeks ago

Dear Brendaly,

I am impressed by your post, “Injustice” because it is a very controversial topic at the moment. Many people have different opinions about this but I am glad that you are spreading awareness.

One sentence that stood out to me is: “This man named Walter Wallace who was diagnosed with bipolar disorder was walking towards police with a knife.” I think this is crazy because there are people who are diagnosed with disorders may not know how to properly react in situations.

Thank you for your writing. I look forward to seeing what else you write about and the importance in this world.

Melissa

Brendaly 2 weeks ago

Yes he was having a mental crisis and didn’t know what he was doing , he didn’t have the ability to take orders in that state of mind

4. Estefani 3 weeks ago

Dear Brendaly,

I am very impressed with your post ”Injustice” because it is a topic that not everyone wants to be talking about. Because in the book ”The Hate U Give” By Angie Thomas, what is happening in the world with the people of color is the same as in the book.

One sentence you wrote that caught my attention was ”This man named Walter Wallace, who diagnosed with bipolar disorder was walking towards the police with a knife”.

Another sentence caught my attention was ”Khalil’s body shakes, blood splatters down his back and he grabs the door upright”.

Thanks for your writing. I hope to see what you write soon I really liked your article. From the book ”The Hate U Give” By Angie Thomas.

5. Steven 4 weeks ago

Dear Brendaly,

I like how you show what people around the world should be acting like this, and treating people right.