Johnson 1

Sasha Johnson

Ms. Reed

American Literature

07 October 2020

Importance of Equality in America

A core American value is that all people should be equal. The United States of America was built on the foundation of that very ideal. All essential documents used as law in day to day life reference equality for all people. Throughout history the United States has struggled with many races, sexes, religions, socioeconomic groups, and many more minorities working to gain equal rights. Although the Nation has come a long way, equality still remains an elusive goal for the country as a whole. Equality offers equal opportunity for all citizens to have fulfill all aspects of their lives.  

The importance of equality can be traced back to the very founding of the United States of America. Whether it was regarding the equality of voting rights between states in the Articles of Confederation or the Declaration of Independence stating the famous proclamation, “That all men are created equal; that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights; that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness” (National Archives para 2). The Constitution repeatedly references equality as a basic human right. Specifically the 14th amendment promises equal protection of the laws. Americans look to these legislative documents, and the guarantee of equality, as supreme law above all else. 

The United States has a deep rooted history of oppressing minorities. Many women’s rights triumphs can be traced back to Ruth Bader Ginsburg’s landmark cases from the 1970’s. She was able to gain equality in numerous areas of women’s lives (History para 3). In the Supreme Court case United States v. Virgina, she was able to prove the discrimination against women in regards to acceptance into the Virgina Millitary Institute (Cornell Law para 1). The struggle for equality has been a theme throughout history, applying to many groups ensuring that all people have equal opportunities and protection.  

Although the United States has progressed for the better in respect towards equality, many groups are struggling with gaining simple rights. The importance of awareness and acceptance of groups such as LGBTQ+ is a highly discussed topic. The Black Lives Matter Movement is also an ongoing progression towards total equality. The importance of these issues in current times proves American’s devotion to equality. 

Cornell Law. “United States v. Virginia Et Al., 518 U.S. 515 (1996).” Legal Information Institute, Legal Information Institute, 26 June 1996, www.law.cornell.edu/supct/html/94-1941.ZS.html. 

History.com Editors, HISTORY. “Ruth Bader Ginsburg.” History.com, A&E Television Networks, 9 Nov. 2009, www.history.com/topics/womens-history/ruth-bader-ginsburg. 

National Archives. “America’s Founding Documents.” National Archives and Records Administration, National Archives and Records Administration, 2020, www.archives.gov/founding-docs. 

January 4, 2021 5:55 pm

i agree with what you said in your argument. A common phrase used is all men are created equal but that’s not normally the case. Many groups get Ignored so we have work to do to make that statement true.

Elena
November 2, 2020 12:41 pm

I completely agree with your points in this essay. As Americans it is preached to us that “all men are created equal,” when in all reality this has not been the case in this country. The rights of women and minorities have been a last priority in this country. While we have made a lot of progress since the founding fathers, we still have a lot of work to do.

Dear Sasha,

I completely agree with you. I believe that many people know this but just forget to practice and encourage it. It seems like the answer could be done so easily but people refuse to let go of the norms and perspectives they know. We need to remember that we all have unalienable rights, we are all equal, and we should help encourage this idea until it is something as simple as ABCs.

Mae

I completely agree with your argument. The founding father based this county on the fact that “every man is created equal” when at the time most of them owned African American slaves. The rights of women have always been far less advanced than those of men. We need to step up like Ruth did and advocate for what is just.

4
0
()