Feel free to go look at my last Youth Voices post titled, “How the world is ending.” I totally called it. Earth desperately needed a break from humanity, and the wildfires weren’t enough, so we were given a global pandemic and earthquakes. So here we are. I am making a decision though to not make this a cynical post. Honestly, I enjoy this time we are having. There is a peacefulness around the state. While there may be pandemonium in some areas, most of the country seems to have slowed down. While I wish that this peace could have come in a less deadly package, I think it is still possible for us to enjoy this time.

The main demolition of the human spirit at the moment is family. Family is probably driving you crazy with the shelter in place prohibiting you from seeing others aside from Zoom meetings. To this, I say, read a book, play a game on your phone, or watch a movie. I suggest the documentary, Hi My Name Is Ryan Hi My Name Is Ryan (Full Length Movie) – YouTube. If you don’t want to do any of those things then you can learn a new hobby. Personally I had trouble with staying productive in the shift.

I always told myself I would get so much done if I just had the time. Well, now I have the time and I haven’t gotten a thing done! I am trying to work on this, and I think everyone should remember that just because the world is on hold doesn’t mean your life needs to be on hold as well.

If you can’t find anything to do then please refer to these 95 things to do when bored at home https://www.mydomaine.com/things-to-do-when-bored. This article says that “boredom is a spinoff of procrastination and that you can eliminate it by doing something else with your mind when boredom strikes.” In order to not go crazy, you need to get something done.

In conclusion, I would say that the worst part of this whole thing is not spending time with those outside of your household. Social media and FaceTime are only good enough for the short term. I know that we all miss each other. But we will get through this together by staying apart. This is an article that discusses all the things we need to worry about, but also ways that this might end, and it will end.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/03/how-will-coronavirus-end/608719/ “‘there is the potential for a much better world after we get through this trauma,’ says Richard Danzig of the Center for a New American Security”. We will all see our friends again. The world is going to be different, but maybe that is a good thing.

For one final note, if you need something to smile about, read this Kenyan poet’s post entitled, Dear Coronavirus, Don’t Be Surprised If You Fail. https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=2621148771543767&id=100009460091433 . Stay healthy.

April 4, 2020 12:01 am

Hey Max,

Your post was informative and hilarious (a great combination). However, more than anything this was a wake-up call. This is a time that provides us the opportunity to catch up on life. Thank you.

Graham Hodell

1
0
()