Follow this link to see this comment in the original context.

I also came from the Dominican Republic. When I came to this country, I was in my last year of high school, and it was very hard because I did not know the language. I struggled a lot taking and passing the English regent. It was the only thing holding me back from graduation. “look around, and that wastes time.” I can say I did that a lot because I did not understand what was happing in the classroom. I was not engaged in the lessons. Unfortunately, some teachers did not care if I was understanding their lessons or if the instructions were meeting my needs.

Youth Voices is an open publishing and social networking platform for youth. The site is organized by teachers with support from the National Writing Project. Opinions expressed by writers are their own.  See more About Youth Voices. Terms of Service. Privacy Policy.All work on Youth Voices is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License

Help on Youth Voices