I am from dark brown eyes, from long brown curly hair and from bad tan lines
I am from the smell of apple cinnamon
I am from the giant palm tree from outside my house, from her strong roots
I am from the laughing Buddha, from the need to rub his belly
From Achoy and Mendoza,
I am from the sunsets and from the bad acting of novelas
From the “I love yous” and “echale ganas” (put in effort)
I am from the tomatoes and goats
I am from sacrifices and risk takers
From the car my dad’s humbleness and from my mom’s unconditional love

Alexis
April 9, 2019 7:23 pm

Angela,
I thought your poem was a very unique and interesting idea, many times when we think of where we are from we think of physical places but you talked about the characteristics that make you you. You talk about where you get your looks or personality from. I really enjoyed reading it and I hope you write some more poems!

Mack
November 28, 2018 4:16 pm

Angela, I really liked reading your poem. This really make me imagine how you look and the lifestyle that you live in. This was an easy read and very catchy with the ” I am’. Keep writing and good luck to you in the future!

Ruby
November 27, 2018 9:33 pm

Angela, I loved your poem, it was simple, short and made a great point. I liked the use of repetition of “I am” in your poem it made it easy to read. The one thing it was hard to tell was if you were talking about just your mother or your father or your extended family. If you were to revise I would keep this in mind because that will give your poem even more meaning if you have a clear idea of what each part of you came from, mom or dad. It made me think of the poem “I am!” by John Clare in the way you used ‘I am’. Overall I really enjoyed it keep working on more poetry I would love to hear more from you!

Emmanuela
November 27, 2018 9:32 pm

I really enjoyed reading your piece of poetry for the simple fact that it allowed me to imagine who and what you look like as a person. I appreciated how personable it was and how you included details such as someone who comes from taking risks and making sacrifices. This is something we can all relate to and the harsh reality of life. This poem reminds me of the poem Where Do You Come From By Meena Alexander, in the sense that it speaks how personal experiences shaped them to be the individual they are today.

4
0
()