woman in white dress shirt holding black camera

Covid-19 hit the United States February of 2020, and just like our economy and President, the education system didn’t know how to handle this situation. How will our future generations be affected by Covid-19?

The first recession that many people remember is the one after 9/11. “For Gen Z, which is defined as comprising those born after 1996 by the Pew Research Center, this is the first time they’ve experienced something of historic proportions.” This is the first time Gen Z will experience any type of recession. But not Gen Z, since they were so young many don’t remember how greatly they were affected by 9/11. Covid-19 is this generations first recession and we are greatly affected. Covid-19 has affected many areas such as employment, traveling, the economy, and education.

High school and college students are greatly affected. “Whether they just graduated from college or are early in their career, members of Gen Z may have to rethink their path.” In order to limit the spread, many schools and colleges have chosen to go completely online. Freshman that are currently enrolled have opted out completely from the college experience. Either attending a state or community college instead of a private and expensive school or choosing to take a gap year.

1. Izzy 6 months ago

Dear Estrella,

I am intrigued by your post regarding how future generations will be impacted by Covid because it focuses on the future rather than the here-and-now. WIth such a widespread virus, many of the precautions that have been taken are in response to the immediate situation without taking a step back to look at the bigger picture.

One thing you said that stand out for me is: “This is the first time Gen Z will experience any type of recession“ with the most recent recession being 9/11. I think it is interesting how you connected the two seemingly distant events by relating their effects on “ employment, traveling, the economy, and education”. I had not thought of the impacts of COVID as being similar to the impacts of 9/11 and it makes me think about both how long it will take to recover from such a recession and the steps we should take towards pulling our country out of such a depression.

Your post reminded me of the thousands who are losing jobs because of the brief closure of the economy. Near me, there were hundreds of stores closed up and empty for over three months. There were small businesses that couldn’t make it through the economic pitfall and eventually closed up shop despite being a favorite amongst many.

Thank you for your project and I look forward to reading other posts you write. A large job well-done, and I hope you continue investigating other aspects surrounding the COVID and its effects on society.

2. Nicholas 6 months ago

Estrella,

This is a very important topic that we all need to be thinking about. Originally no one imagined covid would last this long but now, here we are. It is crazy to be living through something that younger people will learn about in school and that new rules and policies may go in place because of. Overall well done.

3. Audrey 6 months ago

Estrella,

Lately I have been thinking a lot about this type of thing too. It is so strange that we are living through this giant piece of history. I guess now the world has somewhat gotten used to the hand we’ve been dealt. It’s become hard to remember a time before all of the masks and hand sanitizer. You mention toward the beginning of the article that education has done a poor job of handling the pandemic and that it will likely be affected for a long time. I absolutely agree, and I think you should talk more about that. Maybe talk more about what school systems have done, then maybe talk about what they should have done. You also used the word “affected” a lot throughout your writing. Try switching some of them out with words like “limited”, “touched”, or “troubled”.

Audrey

4. Lisa 6 months ago

Dear Estrella,

I absolutely agree with your statements about how Gen-Z are struggling not only because of COVID-19 but because of the economic recession, which we don’t have any experience dealing with, as well.

“‘Whether they just graduated from college or are early in their career, members of Gen Z may have to rethink their path'” was an interesting quote that caught my attention. And it makes sense to me because COVID has made people reconsider what they want to do and what experiences are important to them. A resource that might be interesting to check out is https://www.insidehighered.com/admissions/article/2020/05/19/one-third-high-school-seniors-say-they-will-defer-or-cancel-rather. It talks a lot about whether or not seniors are going to honor commitments if schools are totally online and I feel like it would help support your last two sentences.

5. Nyayeek 6 months ago

Hi Estrella,
    I agree that Covid19 has greatly changed the world for us now and it will continue to change later, Gen Z is greatly affected by this change. Gen Z sees the changes in the education system, high school and college students have to learn from home and high school seniors are seeing many changes in college applications. Students will have new experiences compared to those before and jobs will be harder to find.

6. Sankeeth 6 months ago

Hi Estrella,

I agree with your opinions that Gen Z kids are having a lot of trouble during this COVID – 19 situation. I also think that “areas such as employment, traveling, the economy, and education.” I especially think that employment and the economy have been affected. Countless amounts of people are losing their jobs due to COVID – 19. The economic recession this time has really affected many countries and has had a chain reaction all around the world.

Sankeeth

• Sankeeth 6 months ago

I also think that “areas such as employment, traveling, the economy, and education” have been affected a lot. Due to COVID – 19, many jobs have been lost, traveling has been restricted by many countries, there are economic recessions all over the world, and education has been limited to online schooling in many countries or social – distanced schooling with strict restrictions.

7. Camille Butcher 6 months ago

Hi Estrella,

Future generations will now have a new reality that was non-existent a one year ago. The college experience will change and their job prospects will be based on how well politicians can ensure a huge recession does not crumble the economy.