In the article, “These Bees Can Smell Covid”, (New York Times, Upfront) I learned that bees can smell COVID and is the new development to use as a Covid-19 test. A team of researchers from Wageningen University had trained bees to stick out their tongues when exposed to Covid. This can really help due to their acute sense of smell and their ability to associate the virus with a sugary reward. When the smell was present they would stick their tongue out confirming that there is a positive coronavirus result. 

I think with this new discovery of trained bees can be easier to test if people have covid because then there wouldn’t be the use of swabs in your noses and waiting for a while to get your results back when the bee can just stick its tongue out and tell you in an instant. With this solution, it can be very fast, effective, and super cheap. I believe that with this there can finally be a steady decrease in Covid-19 cases because then doctors can do their thing and save people from this horrible pandemic. In all, this can become a very convenient tool and will not harm the bees since they are just doing the simple task of smelling. 

What do you think will be the best way of using the bees for viruses?

Zoe
October 21, 2021 5:45 am

This is such a cool story! I never knew that bees had a really good sense of smell AND that they could be trained. I think it’d be interesting to see if people starting using bees to test for COVID. I don’t think it’d work out very well though, people tend to be get really scared of bees. It would be cool to look at other bugs or odd animals that could be trained to help us.

1
0
()