This article discusses how republicanism and Mormons are linked. Mainly in the form of gerrymandering and in what bills have been passed. In the case of gerrymandering, “The Utah legislature chose to ignore the IRC’s recommendations and draw its own map that would make a federal Democratic victory nearly impossible” (McCabe). In the case of bills being passed, McCabe states, “The church’s influence has also shown up in the marijuana policy in the state which is much stricter than its Colorado neighbor, and in California’s Proposition 8 in 2008 — an attempt to ban same-sex marriage”. In the end, The church has always been a powerhouse in Utah and due to that, it has always overshadowed non-Mormon voters. Here’s the thing if the governor does give in to the demands and re-draws the maps he may lose support and money from the Mormons.

“How Utah’s Politics and Religion Are Intertwined.” Annenberg Media, 3 June 2022, https://www.uscannenbergmedia.com/2022/06/02/how-utahs-politics-and-religion-are-intertwined/.

0
()