You just read someone’s post and you think, “Wow! I think that’s great!” You can respond! Authors love to converse with their readers, and it feels good to know that the things you write mean something to others.

Here are a few tips to writing a response that might start a conversation:

*Tell the author how their post made you feel

*Tell the author about something similar in your life or way of thinking

*Acknowledge something the author said particularly well or that use a good rhetorical strategy (evidence, ethos, pathos, imagery, allusions, etc)

*Ask a question

*Add an idea of your own that connects to what the author posted

If you write your response as if you were sitting across from the author, the words will be genuine and totally YOU. Use 150 -200 words to make your statement and invite the author or other readers to respond. Conversations are great places to learn about others and build community.