Do you worry about your personal information being leaked on the internet? We enter in our information to create a new account, register for events, or post pictures on social media. The internet is witnessing each of your actions and collecting data all the time. When you open up your search engine or amazon account,  up pops advertising based on what you were looking at recently. You probably think the internet is easy and convenient, but later you realize it knows what you were searching recently on other websites. You may feel confused and scared. Obviously, your information was leaked. 

So what can you do to protect your privacy? Here are some suggestions. First, don’t put your information on websites that are not secure. Do some research before you sign in on a new website, make sure it is legal and it’s created by a formal organization. Some well-known websites have a certain guarantee to protect your personal information. It doesn’t mean your information will be 100% protected, but it has a lower chance of getting leaked. Second, be more cautious about the websites that ask for your address. It is possible that you might get threatened by people knowing your address. So before you enter your address, please think about if it is necessary for you to give them your address? Third, try not to keep your card information on your computer. Some websites such as Google allow you to keep the CVV number which is the three numbers on the back of your card that you need to use for purchasing items online. It’s really convenient, but it’s easy for people to get that information. Here is some good advice from the Federal Trade Commission: “If a company that claims to have an account with you sends email asking for personal information, don’t click on links in the email. Instead, type the company name into your web browser, go to their site, and contact them through customer service”. Always be alert and take safety action will never be a bad idea. Fourth, turn off your location service when it is not important to the app. This will avoid advertising your location to others.  

What should we do if our information is already leaking? If you’re being actively threatened, it’s best to immediately restrict access, set private or, if necessary, suspend, delete, or unpublish your accounts” (K.G Orphanides from Wired UK). So don’t panic, we still can fix this mistake.

Information being stolen can not be fully prevented, but we can do our best to lower the chance of letting personal information out.

Reference:

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/personal-data-privacy-facebook-twitter

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0272-how-keep-your-personal-information-secure

December 10, 2020 7:38 pm

Shuang, your post is one that caught my attention when I was looking for a post to comment on. I like that you are writing about something that is very important to teenagers and everyone in general because I know for me this is something that I am interested in and cares about a lot because it is hard to protect our own personal information when it is online whether that is signing up for a website and even when we create a social media profile because we do tend to forget what we can and can’t put out there on the world wide web because we don’t know who is looking at it from the other end. Your post helped me to remember that I will defiantly keep that in my mind. Thank you for sharing that information with me, Shuang.

December 8, 2020 4:27 pm

Shuang, your post definitely caught my attention as I was scrolling by. I like the fact that you not only told the readers what the risks of losing your personal information over the internet were, but you gave ways in which one could prevent this from happing to them. I’ll be using these suggestions myself to prevent getting my information stolen, and let my family and friends know to do this too. Thank you Shuang!

2
0
()