person holding newspaper article

Fake News

There is misleading news content everywhere and on every platform.  We all need to find a way to avoid it.  In order to do this, we need to look at the author of the story and their purpose of why they are telling us this.  Are they just saying this to make more money, or are they trying to inform us?  Also, check for the sources. You want to know where they are getting this information from.  Overall, the source should be tested from where they got the information from.

How to combat fake news and disinformation?

Journalism and communication systems, like the news have become very controversial and untruthful. Many people are losing trust in the media. There are many ways of fixing this and improving this. People need to be educated and informed on news literacy and what is fake news. There is so much misinformation and fake news out there. It had made the world more complicated and untrustworthy. “This decline in public trust in media is dangerous for democracies.” No one knows who to believe and now journalists have built a bad reputation of being liars. They need to find a way to control their media.

1. dominic 5 months ago

Hey Sam, I have to agree with just about everything you said in this post. Especially when you talked about trying to find out what media outlets or specific articles have to gain from you. Finding out if they are selling something or benefit from swaying your opinion greatly helps in taking what they say with a grain of salt.

2. Matylda 5 months ago

Sam, I like the ideas you’ve outlined here. I agree, there is an increasing amount of fake news in the media these days and this is very hard to avoid. I like your ideas about combatting this, we need to make sure people know where their news is coming from and if it is reliable.

3. Grace 5 months ago

Sam- it’s true… fake news is everywhere. It’s challenging today to find completely non-bias, factual media. This is very divisive. I think that there needs to be some sort of regulation of the media. This reminds me of what I learned in the new movie “The Social Dilemma.”