fountain pen on black lined paper

How To Become A Better Writer

How do I become a better writer? This question has been asked by countless numbers of students through the years. Many people struggle with writing, especially when it comes to essays. A problem that people tend to run into when they start their first essay is trying to figure out how they want to approach their subject. Students can spend most of their time thinking about their topic sentence and what direction they want to go with their topic. However, once you overcome that first topic sentence, everything becomes so much easier. Half of the struggle in writing essays is just figuring out how to start the topic sentence. After you get past it, everything else starts to come together and it develops a natural flow. As stated in the article, “Here’s How To Become A Better Writer”, “The more you write, the easier it will become.”. Writing doesn’t just get easier, it builds character and creativity within a person. If you can channel that inner creativity and bring it to light, then writing will be your best friend.

There are many great ideas that you can use to help you when writing an essay. One idea would be to brush up on your basics. Make sure that you know the basics of writing and what is required of you when creating an essay. Another great strategy that you can use to help improve your writing skills is to read and write like it’s your job too or like it is your favorite thing in the world. If none of these work for you, then you should look into finding a partner or a teacher to help you out. Not only does having a partner help you with writing, but it also helps you keep on track and it is a good way to hold yourself more accountable with your work. If all else fails and nothing seems to be working for you then a good idea to fall back on is to find a writer who interests you, study the way he or she writes, and try to imitate it within your writing. Now, when it comes to imitating, that doesn’t mean stealing word for word what someone said and plagiarizing. It means finding someone’s style of writing and trying to implement it into your own to try and better your writing skills. As stated in the article, “16 Easy Ways To Improve Your Writing Skills”, “Over time, I eventually developed my own style, but reading the works of these writers and seeing how they constructed their essays and books was immensely helpful to me as a writer”. This quote is a good example of how someone imitated a writer and in the end, it helped him progress as a writer.

The final step to becoming a better writer is to go back and edit your work. Before finalizing any piece of writing, you need to go back and fact-check it. You need to make sure that there are no misspellings, no missed punctuation, and no repetitiveness. A good essay needs to be clear, concise, engaging, and you want it to get your point across. If your work doesn’t fit under any of these criteria, then you should go back and edit whatever it is you need to fix and enhance your writing. Once you have proofread and checked your work, and you are happy with the final result, submit it. Hopefully, all of these tips can help you to become a better writer.

November 17, 2021 5:51 am

Hello Shawn, I like how you brought up “imitating” a writer. Just like with art, writers have their own styles and should experiment with others to find their own. I find that writing essays is much easier than writing books- just like you said, once you have the topic sentence, you could just go with the flow. However, I rarely go back to check for errors when writing essays compared to writing stories and that’s something a lot of people have to fix, including me.

Shawn, I would love to become a better writer. I am not the best writer in the world at the moment and I don’t write to bad but after reading what you said on how I can better myself in writing I think I’m going to write a ton better. I agree with what you said about the topic sentence because that really is the hardest part most of the time. A natural flow comes so easy and I find it one of the more fun things about writing. Editing is also one of the biggest things I feel most students don’t usually do just because they don’t want to take the time and go back to re look at their work because their work is “good enough”. I am guilty of doing this myself sometimes and I try to do the best I can and look over it as I go bu that really isn’t enough. Thanks for the post and the links are very helpful I like that you just summarized them up in your writing as well.

2
0
()