In the article “How the Border Between the United States and Mexico Was Established”, by Jeff Wallenfdet, I learned how the border between the U.S. and Mexico was established. The first thing that happened was that Texas wanted to be annexed into the United States which was the root of the issues that started the Border. The US agreed with Texas and later on Texas was officially a part of the US. Which is how they got to the Treaty of Guadalupe, the states being sold to the US. The six states that were sold to America began that border that is now between the U.S. and Mexico.

I believe that this situation only happened to keep the U.S. happy, all those states Mexico gave up were only to have peace. I don’t agree with the Treaty of Guadalupe but Mexico had to compromise. This situation seems like the start of the U.S. having power over land and the root of starting a border. 

As I continue to learn, I want to know about how Mexico feels about how the U.S. expanding the border and passing new rules. 

I hadn’t really thought about how the U.S./ Texas border was made with Mexico. I know there are many disturbances with the border, and how it is maintained, but I hadn’t thought about how the U.S. used its political and military power to push Mexico into signing a treaty for more land. Of course we don’t have proof either side was being forced or being forceful, but by the terms of the agreement, that isn’t a huge assumption, and I agree.

October 17, 2023 3:47 am

Your post made me think about how the border idea even came to thought and how it still affects people today. I agree with you that the states given up by Mexico were given to the U.S to keep them happy and keep peace between the two countries. As you continue to research, I hope you discover how Mexico feels about the U.S. expanding the border and passing new rules. 

Antonia Mariscal

2
0
()