There is much danger in only understanding a single story. You can miss the most crucial information from multiple sides. Throughout the past seven months, our world has suffered greatly, “People are dying every day in the United States of COVID-19… trust in public health officials is dropping” (Garcia-Navarro).

Throughout this time, people have been extremely confused on what to believe, and it greatly affects their behavior. This results in people struggling to trust the healthcare professionals, but these are the people who have put their time and effort into conducting research regarding this virus: “In short, Americans are confused and mistrustful of the people who are supposed to get us out of this health crisis” (Garcia-Navarro).

People are constantly questioning what is safe and what is not: Can I go out in public? How many people are allowed to attend? Will there be proper social distancing at this event? Do I need to clean each surface I touch? Do I have to wear a mask? We need to have empathy for everyone during this time because we are all going through this together and we do not understand fully what to do. 

The danger of a single story is relevant during this time as well, people only read one news article about a virus spike and make their own conclusions. The more we learn about the virus and its patterns, the less the danger of a single story will be evident. Even healthcare professionals are learning every day what is the safest thing to do, even if that means taking away certain events and activities. What is safe one day may be too dangerous the next.

This is why empathy is so important; we need to respect what everyone is comfortable with and work from there. Whether a pandemic is consuming our world or not, empathy can be used in a variety of spaces in everyday life: “‘Empathy is essentially the science of understanding… it’s necessary in elementary schools, on a collegiate level and in a corporate boardroom’” (Burnett). Empathy is a key way to connect with the people around us because it shows them that we care about them and the situation that they are in. There will always be a new obstacle that we have to face, and empathy will make these obstacles easier to overcome. 

“Alan Alda On The Importance Of Empathy During The COVID-19 Pandemic”. 13 Sept. 2020, www.npr.org/2020/09/13/912424799/alan-alda-on-the-importance-of-empathy-during-the-covid-19-pandemic

Burnett, John. “Stefon Harris – Vibraphonist, Educator, Thinker – Teaches Empathy From The Bandstand”. 30 Mar. 2020, www.npr.org/2020/03/30/822024071/stefon-harris-vibraphonist-educator-thinker-teaches-empathy-from-the-bandstand

Luisa
November 3, 2020 6:51 pm

Dear, Julia

I agree we need to learn about this virus and we need to discuss with people to learn more and talk about coronavirus and also I think we need to stop making this virus political because that why we can’t have an
in-depth discussion about this virus because people start to argue.

Steven
November 3, 2020 6:37 pm

Dear Julia,

I like how you show what people are doing during the corona virus, how it makes people feel

Gabriel garza
November 2, 2020 3:43 am

I enjoyed how you explained the views of COVID being a single sided story and then related it back to having empathy. I agree with only reading one news article, being a single sided story, because that site may only include their views, opinions and hope for the future without gaining a true knowledge of the topic by seeing every perspective regarding COVID-19. Also i love how you explained “ Empathy is a key way to connect with the people around us because it shows them that we care about them and the situation that they are in”. That we do connect with people when we show empathy for people because not many people understand one another.

I enjoyed how you explained the views of COVID being a single sided story and then related it back to having empathy. I agree with only reading one news article, being a single sided story, because that site may only include their views, opinions and hope for the future without gaining a true knowledge of the topic by seeing every perspective regarding COVID-19.

I really like how you ask questions within your post to get readers more involved. I agree with your reasons on why empathy is so important because it truly does affect everyone’s lives and how we interact with each other. Overall, you’re information is unique and very well said.

5
0
()