woman in black and white checkered shirt sitting beside man in blue crew neck shirt

This article enlightened me about the different scenarios a family can have. It talked about how the ideal “American” family is having a baby of each gender (a boy and a girl). It is the perfect balance between the both. But often, people get a mix of both, in any order, or one specific gender. This article went into the logistics about having older girls and then a boy and vice versa. Conducting research on each person, they showed that placement and number of specific gender plays a role in personality. To answer my question, being the only girl, in a family of one or more boys, has several more advantages over girls in other families. “On average, such girls got more schooling and ultimately made more money than women who grew up with one or more sisters (even when there were also boys in the family).” Girls who grow up with only brothers tend to be high-achieving and get a lot more out of life and school than other girls. I agree with this article because growing up with many guys pushed me to be smarter and high-achieving. Therefore, I can conclude that being the only girl in your family does affect your personality.

I never thought that this type of study could be applicable and I’m sure there are some outliers from this study, but this is quite an interesting perspective. I liked how you related this study to your personal life and utilized your own experience in comparison to this study. It would be interesting to read on more about the role of middle, youngest or oldest child and how that may affect the personality type of that person. I really enjoyed reading this post and can’t wait to read more in the future.

September 17, 2021 5:46 pm

I really like the question you asked. I’ve wondered the same thing as I am the only girl cousin on both sides of my family. Along with that, my mom grew up with three older brothers. Being the only girl I feel that I have received more opportunities.

September 17, 2021 5:43 pm

I thought this was a super interesting perspective! This sentence really stuck out to me…”Girls who grow up with only brothers tend to be high-achieving and get a lot more out of life and school than other girls.” I personally have experienced that match up with this. I have a brother, and it feels like being the only girl sibling within my family does mean I get more opportunities. I asked a similar question, one about how the age gap between siblings affects their relationship. I didn’t even think about how much gender affected siblings as well, and I personally think that being the only girl as well as being very close in age with your siblings can lead to some of the best bonds that stay strong into adulthood.

September 17, 2021 5:43 pm

This is such an interesting concept to talk about, especially with how different all families are. It’s cool to learn that only girls in a family of boys are more achieving, although it actually makes sense in a way. Especially with older siblings, you constantly feel the need to be better than them. All in all, a nice topic.

4
0
()