Screen time affects children at a young age from not being able to control their emotions to not being able to understand empathy and their first language. Before babies are able to understand verbal cues and communication they pick up non-verbal cues and facial expressions. This helps babies focus and concentrate which is a vital skill for them to build on, screens take this away and shorten their attention span, and take these skills away. Providing a screen to a child at a young age also ruins their interactions with others, instead of communicating and playing with others they would rather watch a screen and not interact. All of this provides the basis of social skills for the rest of their life because the babies’ brains are so vulnerable at that time too.
Screens are also a source of instant entertainment and with this when the baby is bored they don’t know how to handle this boredom and often turns into a behavioral problem showing anger and frustration. Whereas if there is no screen it allows the baby to process this time of boredom to practice their concentration and focus skills. This is why the World Health Organization recommends no screen time for babies under 2 and no more than one hour of screen time a day for those aged 2 to 4 because of these long-lasting effects.

0
()