One large difference between the Western and Eastern Hemisphere is communication. While people are more direct and to the point in the West, communication is more indirect and involves reading between the lines in the East. Professional or business relationships tend to be brief and not as personal in the West, but longer-lasting and more focused on trust in the East. Company hierarchy matters more in the East, and business, as well as daily life, is more community-oriented. However, a focus on individuality is more common in the West. Punctuality, which is important in both cultures, can be less important in the West as long as work gets done. Asking questions is often acceptable and encouraged in the West, but can be seen as threatening to employers in the East. Although my source focuses solely on the business world, many of these aspects transfer to other industries as well.

September 18, 2021 10:49 pm

Dear Sadie,

I am interested by your post “How culturally different is the Western Hemisphere from the Eastern Hemisphere?” because is impressive how the difference is the communication in the different parts of the hemisphere. Also I think that is curios how different they are in the theme of the company hierarchy.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “While people are more direct and to the point in the West, communication is more indirect and involves reading between the lines in the East.” I think this is impressed because one continental have communication and the other one not.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because it’s interesting know more about other parts of the world. Also it’s interesting because can know more about other places where I don’t know how is the people.

Veronica

1
0
()