Back then the crime rate in Oakland was sky high because of Gang Shootings, Fights  and Robberies. But today there is more protection in Oakland because there are more police cars and  there is also more community meetings that are happening more often. Every year the crime rate is slowly decreasing. So there is less gang shootings happening. The crime rates in Oakland have decreased because of more police and more  community interventions.

Firstly, violence has decreased because of more police. The article on Patch.com explains“Oakland gun violence plunges 52 percent study” by the California Newswire Services  explains A new study indicates that a six year old strategy to reduce group-related gun violence has resulted in a 32 percent reduction in gun homicides and a 43 percent decrease in gang-involved shootings. This evidence shows that the strategy is changing the behavior of local gang members to better themselves instead of arresting them. When interviewing my mother, an Oakland native, she thought  if the the violence in Oakland decreased in the recent years or Is the violence still the same? She said that it kinda got better. This quote is important because My mom has lived in Oakland for 20 years and she saw the change from what she had thought about Oakland was before and what Oakland is today. When my mother came to Oakland she didn’t really she didn’t really see the violence until a few years later when she saw people fighting down the street. Then she saw how Oakland has improved Because of my mom’s experience of crime in Oakland she has the knowledge of how Oakland’s crime has gone down. My Mother doesn’t see Oakland like she did when she moved there. She now thinks Oakland is peaceful. She doesn’t see that much violence or people fighting down the street. Also she thinks that Oakland is a good place to live and move to.When my mother came to Oakland, she didn’t really she didn’t really see the violence until a few years later when she saw people fighting down the street. Then she saw how Oakland has improved.

Secondly, violence has also decreased because of different community interventions. When my mother came to Oakland, she didn’t really she didn’t really see the violence until a few years later when she saw people fighting down the street. Then she saw how Oakland has improved. Because of my mom’s experience of crime in Oakland she has the knowledge of how Oakland’s crime has gone down. My mother doesn’t see Oakland like she did when she moved there. She now thinks Oakland is peaceful. Because of my mom’s experience of crime in Oakland she has the knowledge of how Oakland’s crime has gone down.She doesn’t see that much violence or people fighting down the street. Also she thinks that Oakland is a good place to live and move to.

Yadira
April 25, 2019 10:25 pm

Hello Jai’Kari,
Thank you for sharing more about Oakland. I find your topic to be especially important when there are many perspectives about Oakland. Having your mom share her personal experience of what Oakland was like and the changes made brings knowledge and recognition on what works, what doesn’t work and the resources that make a difference in you community. I agree with Esmeralda and would like to know more about this topic. I would encourage you to keep writing about it.

Esmeralda Cano
Esmeralda Cano
February 13, 2019 2:43 am

Jai’Kari,
I’m so glad to hear that your experience living in Oakland is an improvement from that of your mothers, I would like to know what “community interventions” specifically contributed to this wonderful change. I urge to research what other members of your community have experience. I also wonder how far back you looked into the history of violence in your area and what improvements the police force has experienced.

Best wishes,

Esmeralda Cano

Kayla
January 16, 2019 5:16 pm

Dear Jai’Kari,
Thank you so much for writing this but reading through your paragraph it started to get confusing. A place I started to get confuse was when you started to introduce a quote but your quote ended up being about asking a question to your mom. Some advice for you would be to either write about an interview in one paragraph and then write about article in another. But so far you writing is good and you have a good topic.

3
0
()