brown and black house

In this NowComment article, I went over the issue of air pollution within my state of Utah. Specifically, how within the next 4 years, homes will overtake industrial factories and power plants and become the biggest contributor to air pollution. A new trend that’s been popping up in Salt Lake City may be the remedy to this worsening crisis.

Recently, new “net zero energy/zero emissions” houses have been guilt around the city in order to combat air pollution. These efficient homes use a series of techniques, including thicker walls for insulation, installations of energy efficient furnaces and other energy efficient appliances, sealed windows and doors, and more energy efficient tools like lawnmowers or what have you. This could not only lead to less pollution being emitted from a house, but it can severely lower ones energy bill.

One main objection that can arise from this solution is the price of building such structures. These more energy efficient homes can cost up to 2% to 5% more than a regular house. With the issue of air pollution, there would need to be a vast majority of these houses in order to make an actual impact on emissions, which is when that 2-5% uptick in price can make a real difference.

Despite this, the solution provided is still certainly feasible. That uptick in price can be made over from saving on energy bills, and can certainly be effective when more and more buildings move to this model of construction.

1. Rosa 2 weeks ago

Hello Milo
    In my opinion, I think that as more people come to Utah for a number of causes, this is a very common problem and even more so. I assume that, while not cost-effective, your article from SolutionsU provides a viable approach to the problem. I can also suggest that using more energy-efficient vehicles, carpooling more, using public transit, etc., would be another part of this approach. Lovely work!!
    -Rosa Zavala

2. Mark 4 weeks ago

Hey Milo!
    As a Salt Laker, I’m especially interested in this article. I am especially interested in the critiques of this solution. 2-5% does not seem like very much of an increase in housing prices, but our prices are already inflated as it is. Do you know how much of an impact this will have upon access to housing in the Valley?
    This reminds me a bit of the zoning issues in Salt Lake — it’s always controversial when the city changes something about how and where structures can be built.
    I’d like to learn more about what levels of government and organizations are taking steps towards building more clean houses.
    Great article. 🙂

3. Grace 4 weeks ago

Milo-

I think that this a very prevalent issue and becoming more so as more people are moving to Utah for a variety of reasons. I think that your article from SolutionsU presents a valid solution to the issue, although not cost effective. I would also argue that another aspect of this solutions would be to use more energy efficient cars, carpool more, use public transportation, etc. Nice work!!