In the article, “Celebrating Hispanic Culture,” (btw, 2022) I learned that the United States celebrates Hispanic Heritage Month, from September 15 to October 15, to highlight the culture of more than 60 million people who come from a Hispanic origin. Here in the U.S, the word Hispanic began to be used after ethnicity statistics were standardized by the U.S. Office of Management and Budget. The celebration started only as a week-long celebration, but, after the impact of Hispanics in the nation and the number of them, a law was passed that declared a Hispanic celebration for a whole month. This month was specifically chosen because September 15 is independence day for 5-Latin American countries: Guatemala, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Honduras, and El Salvador. The next day, September 16, is also independence day for Chile and Mexico. 

I believe this was an amazing celebration to bring out to the whole nation because we are given the freedom to express ourselves through our culture and highlight our backgrounds. I am a proud Hispanic and having a month that is solely focused on Hispanic culture, means I can be part of those who participate in events to demonstrate how much our culture means to us and how we want to show others that this nation is full of diversity. I also think it is important to see how other people celebrate and express their culture so we can expand our understanding and knowledge about the world and the people around us. It is good to know that our experiences, culture, and backgrounds are shared with others and together, we can represent where we come from.  

Do you come from a Hispanic background or know someone that does? What events do you think we should create to celebrate the Hispanic culture during this month? 

0
()