Dear Youth Voices Community,

My name is Edgar Pacheco, and I’m a senior at Fremont High School.

The social inequity problem I am looking into is how the immigrant status stops people from letting them achieve the “American Dream.”.The demographic group I am most focused on for this inequity is Latin American people that are old enough to realize that their citizenship status holds them back from their full potential because I belong to a very intelligent family that can’t succeed without the citizenship papers that American citizens have. The reason I feel this is an inequity is because a mass amount of people are sophisticated enough to deserve higher paying jobs and education levels but the country we live in only sees them as illegal aliens by the color and race they are.

Right now, I believe a solution to this problem would be to give the people that have been here long enough and been cooperating with the government a legal citizenship opportunity, by requiring a certain amount of steps and background checks

Some might argue that by doing that more people will illegally come to the US and raise the percentage of violence and drug trafficking , making my research focus debatable.

Fremont High School seniors are now curating sources to explain our inequity and its impact on society and to develop arguments for why and how this inequity needs to be addressed. If you have ideas for sources I should explore, please send me those ideas or links in the comment section. I would greatly appreciate your feedback and help.

Edgar
Fremont High School

Erica
October 1, 2017 12:48 am

Edgar,
I appreciate your writing about this subject. I find that this is a very pressing issue in the United States right now. This is something I am also very interested in. I thought what you said about “a mass amount of people are sophisticated enough to deserve higher paying jobs and education levels but the country we live in only sees them as illegal aliens by the color and race they are” was very impactful. I think you could add very important aspects to your research. Have you considered adding primary sources in your research project? I think this would make the argument very personal. I have added a link below about people who have experienced these issues first hand. I look forward to reading your research project because I think it will be interesting to see this new perspective on immigrants in the United States.
(http://www.foxbusiness.com/features/2016/11/04/how-undocumented-immigrant-got-social-security-card-and-job-in-u-s.html)

Dave
November 20, 2016 12:48 am

Let me first say that I have nothing against any groups of people but these are facts to consider.

In order for the massive amount of immigrants to achieve the American dream in the U.S, what does it mean for actual American citizens? Won’t that just steal more jobs from them? In fact, there has already been many
U.S jobs lost due to competition from foreigners.

I agree that not all immigrants are illegal or “undocumented”, but a significant percentage of them are. Any to any country without proper documentation in the first place is illegal and a problem in itself. Even official U.S citizens must be checked before entering their home country. Mexico is facing a similar problem with its transit immigrants from Central America.
http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2016/11/03/5-facts-about-illegal-immigration-in-the-u-s/
http://dailycaller.com/2016/09/06/hundreds-of-african-illegal-immigrants-get-to-mexico-trying-to-get-to-us/

Hector
November 2, 2016 3:40 pm

Hi Edgar, I share your feelings, I’m a Latino too. This is what I found:
https://myimmigrationstory.com
It is a web page where immigrants like us share their stories. I think that this is important because any statistic will reflect what we had experienced to be here.
NOTE: There’s stories of all immigrants( from India, China, Kenya, etc) but most of them are from our paisanos.
I hope this would help you. 😉

Victoria

Hi Edgar,

I’m also a senior, and Mexican. Although my family does have documentation, I do see all the barriers Hispanics face when they immigrate to the USA, yet the “aliens” (I don’t really like that word) that I do know are some of the hardest working people I know.

While I don’t have any sources that could directly help/give data on this issue, I think one of the barriers on immigrants that are not discussed nearly as much as others are the barriers they face in the healthcare system. It is incredible to study the cultural difference in medical fields in Latin American countries versus the USA, and very rarely do you find an effective patient navigation program at hospital geared towards serving Hispanics. There are also many tragic cases where illegal immigrants have to choose between treatment or deportation, or simply don’t have the means to pay for treatment.

I also think another way to find information on social inequity is to see experiences firsthand. From what you’ve written, it seems like you do have experiences just in daily life, but another way to find stories is to talk to friends like you, and if there is an organization in your area that helps people to complete documentation or even just teach English to adults, take some time and volunteer there. There is a similar program like that where I live and it has really opened my eyes to the different situations immigrants live in.

Buena suerte:)

Victoria

Hi Edgar,

Buena suerte:)

Karen
Admin

Thanks for looking into this important issue, Edgar. (I read this post http://www.youthvoices.live/2016/06/27/undocumented-students-matter/ and wondered if you’d seen it.)

The executive actions of DACA (and DAPA, currently on hold) are one way the government has tried to change this. We desperately need immigration reform to formalize and expand on this.

The upcoming elections will be very important to these issues. Not only the presidential election but also other positions especially those in Congress are vital.

Here are some resources that you might look at:

http://unitedwedream.org/

https://www.ilrc.org/daca

https://www.nilc.org/issues/immigration-reform-and-executive-actions/dapa-and-expanded-daca-programs/

Good luck on your research, and I look forward to reading more from you.

6
0
()