people in green and black jackets standing on green grass field during daytime

In the article “He’s Fighting QAnon with Sunlight,” the writer, Nick Fouriezos, discusses the issue of how the spread of false information can lead to dangerous situations. Media coverage and certain organizations can have the power to manipulate news events to push their political and social agenda.

The writer uses the example of how the radical organization, QAnon, has been able to manipulate the story of events and reporting regarding child trafficking. The writer followed the experiences of Cambridge engineer, Lyric Jain, who has pushed to fight back against the false spread of information.

He has reported that QAnon has been able to spread misleading information due to its connections with politicians in power. Jain had a personal connection to his current issue as he claims that his grandmother was subjected to false medical information about her cancer treatment.

This problem has the power to influence many areas of research, political elections, and how the overall public opinion of news events.

The writer describes the solution as through fact-checking on a browser extension. It provides detailed summaries for storylines within articles and allows users to send their own fact checks of “any fact in any story” to Jain’s company, logically, which may then adopt the check broadly.

This solution can help limit the amount of false information on the internet, however, it is unable to completely prevent the spread of misleading information. This is a difficult problem to overcome but overall, it lies on the responsibility of the public opinion to rely on trustworthy news sources.

I believe that a fact-checking browser extension is the most reasonable, current solution to the spread of misleading information because bias prevents sources from being completely neutral and factual with their information provided.

At my school, there is an issue with plagiarizing assignments and essays and the lack of knowledge for what news source is reliable. I believe that this fact-checking browser could be useful to my school community to produce the best overall quality from students and teachers.